Cutting firewood

jamiemac

Hi,

Being an owner of a large woodburning stove and wanting to avoid oil heating costs ina drafty house, I have over the last 5 years become something of a weekend wood cutting warrior. I get three large lorry loads of 5 m long lengths of stunning french oak trunk side "fillets" delivered each Spring from my local saw mill.

I then use my trusty Stihl MS180 chainsaw and set to along each length of wood balanced carefully on my saw horse, cutting lovely 9-12" prieces. Burns beautifully hot and slow for 9 months a year 24 hours a day. Stunning value at £450 for all that mountain of wood.

Problem is, it is a LOT of labour, say 8 weekends work. I get through 2 chains (have to do three good sharpening strokes on each tooth and oil refil with each fuel refil).

So I wonder if there might be a better way. Would a bandsaw be more durable, quicker to use?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Yep and there's no way of changing that! Cutting and splitting firewood is hard work and unless you have a £20,000 processor it will always be hard work....

There is an easier way, buy it off one of the log sellers on here. Lol.

Hi,

Being an owner of a large woodburning stove and wanting to avoid oil heating costs ina drafty house, I have over the last 5 years become something of a weekend wood cutting warrior. I get three large lorry loads of 5 m long lengths of stunning french oak trunk side "fillets" delivered each Spring from my local saw mill.

I then use my trusty Stihl MS180 chainsaw and set to along each length of wood balanced carefully on my saw horse, cutting lovely 9-12" prieces. Burns beautifully hot and slow for 9 months a year 24 hours a day. Stunning value at £450 for all that mountain of wood.

Problem is, it is a LOT of labour, say 8 weekends work. I get through 2 chains (have to do three good sharpening strokes on each tooth and oil refil with each fuel refil).

So I wonder if there might be a better way. Would a bandsaw be more durable, quicker to use?

Any ideas gratefully received!

in short yes but band saw will also need sharpening.

i tend to cut and bag all our flitch wood but use the rack to cross cut it or a chain saw ms390. works ok, get around 15 ton a year in oak, plus other bits.

we've a large band saw 25" throat and takes a 2" band old sagar one that gets used as a resaw and will be quite happy chopping up stuff, usually the 15-20 ft flitch gets thirded and either fed through a cast bench with a 3foot blade tractor driven or the band/ chain saws.