Milling oak

ashman

I have a few large oak butts, and have use of a wood mizer, out of interest i was thinking of planking one or two of them up, and possibly making some oak posts, more as i enjoy this sort of thing than as a money making venture.

But i would love to make a large, 3ft wide by12ft long 2inch thick table for a friends log cabin.

I have never milled anything before, my friend who owns the wood mizer has offered to help mill it, but what i want to know is storing the timber, how do i best go about it, i know the planks need to be sticked out to allow air to circulate but thats about it, inside or out ? covered or open etc etc.

I have always worried before that the timber will split during drying out and render it useless, what do i need to do to avoid this.

Having said all this, if i get on well with it, i may look at doing it as a sideline in the future as i get quite a few oak butts every year, thats if there is a market for the timber !

What do you lot think and have you any tips to help me get started.

your right, put it in sticks, and let it air dry, under cover but with good air flow, the wind will dry it out, if your lucky enough to have a kiln, then bingo,,but not many of us do,,,,I leave my oak out side,,then move it into cold room at back of workshop to further the slow drying out process, all depends what the final useage is, being a table it needs to be dry.

Just to second what Delabodge has said, airflow is key. If you have stagnant air, it will result in all sorts of interesting fungi attacking the boards!

2 inch boards will take about 2 years to dry to 18% moisture content, which might still be a bit high for a table inside.

Jonathan

Hi Thanks, i have an old hay barn that i can store it in, just a roof and all the side are open, that was what i had in mind, stacked up with sticks between each layer. will rain etc hurt it ??

Also what is the best timber to mill, i have green oak and i also have quite a few dead trees down as well, the wood is fine but no sap in it, i understand this will saw harder though .

Rob.

Oak in wide boards is one of the hardest if not the hardest to get dry without any defects. But even with a crack or two it will still look good as a table top.

The wider the board the more tension and stresses tend to build up across it's width as it drys.

As said oak does well if taken very gently in the first year.

I've done a basic drying guide here if it helps alaskan mill I home of the portable chainsaw mill

:biggrin:

Thankyou for the advice, Rob, have also been looking at your furniture, and also showing my wife, some lovely pieces there, that is something i would love to be able to do.

Found your site very interesting and informative, especialy the kiln info, i happen to have a fridge body in my yard already.

What is the drying time when set up as a kiln, and does it provide a lot more wastage as your site suggests.

Cheers, Rob.

Off topic i know and im sorry but i am loving your furniture! just been showing my wife lol

Your offering 10% off for milling equipment to members, any discounts on your furniture for trade purchases? and would you want someone retailing your products to their clients?

I'd certainly do 20% off the furniture prices for regular orders but whether that's enough to cart the stuff around I don't know...

Or if someone wanted 5 benches no doubt I could do something on that.

Thankyou for the advice, Rob, have also been looking at your furniture, and also showing my wife, some lovely pieces there, that is something i would love to be able to do.

Found your site very interesting and informative, especialy the kiln info, i happen to have a fridge body in my yard already.

What is the drying time when set up as a kiln, and does it provide a lot more wastage as your site suggests.

Cheers, Rob.

Drying time I find is around 8 weeks for 2" oak.

It takes a bit of time playing around kilning wood. Wastage isn't too bad but then the stuff I make I don't have to worry about the odd crack or 5 :biggrin: