Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Milling Forum Discuss saw milling processes here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-11-10   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011

First attempt with small log mill

Finally got around to having a go with the Small LoG Mill I bought a couple of months back - had brought a couple of lumps of Oak back from the APF that were too nice to go through the processor and I earmarked them to make a new fire surround at home

Was at a bit of a disadvantage right from the start as the only bit of wood I could find anything like suitabel for a guide rail was a 5x3 fence post that wasn't perfectly straight and also was a bit rounded but hey ho - worse comes to the worst and I could log it up. Ended up nailing it to the log too but it seemed to hold.

First cut went a lot faster than I expected (372, semi chisel chain and 8 tooth sprocket so fairly geared up) but I suppose it wasn't really cutting much width.

Set second cut at 6" and checked after - looked fairly parallel btu the whole thing had a bit of a twist to it.

Bit of juggling with a square had the guide set up for the first of the side faces - took two attempts to get the cut where I was sort of happy.

Didn't think the finished piece came up too bad - yeah it's a little out on one side but it adds character (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it )
Attached Images

Old 14-11-10   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2010

Re: First attempt with small log mill

Chris, was there any particular reason you went for the small log mill over a smaller normal alaskan?
Old 14-11-10   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolojim View Post
Chris, was there any particular reason you went for the small log mill over a smaller normal alaskan?
Did nearly go for the smallest normal one but figured I coudl always go up to a bigger one later if the need arises - currently don't have anything with a bigger bar than 20" and most of the wood I envisage milling will be quite small so would give it a go.

Also, doing it this way means I can get a mini mill to go with it and still not be that much more cost wise than a normal alaskan (not that I'm tight or owt )
Old 14-11-10   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2010

sounds like bloody good logic to me Chris...

hmmmmmmmmm now where's that wallet
Old 14-11-10   #5 (permalink)

for a first go that's pretty good.

so far i've only ripped up oversize softwoods (that wont fit thru the processor) into planks and posts. my first 4x 2s where very trapezoidal. it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of squaring things up. But as you say it adds character. the" rustic" look is always good