Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Milling Forum Discuss saw milling processes here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Days Ago   #1 (permalink)

Diesel Mill Undercover

I am putting up a new barn to store kit with a couple of open bays at the end to house the sawmill. Due to planning restrictions and concerns about noise I am having to board in 2 sides of the open bays (i.e. 1 long side open). The span of the 2 bays are 20' and 15' by 30' deep (i.e. an area of 1050 square feet) with a pitched roof 18' high to the apex 14' to the gutter. Can anyone see a problem with running a diesel engine mill in a space this size with only 1 open side?

Cheers
Old 3 Days Ago   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as catweazel

Re: Diesel Mill Undercover

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ck View Post
I am putting up a new barn to store kit with a couple of open bays at the end to house the sawmill. Due to planning restrictions and concerns about noise I am having to board in 2 sides of the open bays (i.e. 1 long side open). The span of the 2 bays are 20' and 15' by 30' deep (i.e. an area of 1050 square feet) with a pitched roof 18' high to the apex 14' to the gutter. Can anyone see a problem with running a diesel engine mill in a space this size with only 1 open side?

Cheers
Diesels produce very little carbon monoxide so safer than a petrol engine in that respect
Old 3 Days Ago   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Only the usual thieves getting easy access to your kit .
Old 3 Days Ago   #4 (permalink)

There will be roller shutters into the enclosed part of the barn so that the mill can be pushed back in at the end of the day, so it is mainly the fumes that I was concerned about. I had wanted completely open sides but some of the local residents had concerns about the potential noise.
Old 3 Days Ago   #5 (permalink)

yes i could see a problem with fumes. i had the exhaust fall off my older mill that ran off a large diesel engine in a building of similar size, the engine was stationary with the exhaust going outside the building and within a few seconds of the failure the inside of the shed was blue with smoke.

when i fitted our newer bandsaw in a building with three sides open the mill was ran for short times while the mill was calibrated and again the exhaust fumes were not directed outside so after about 15 min it was unbearable to stand inside the shed. i wouldnt think that you would have as bad a problem as this but think about how much burnt gas you and anyone else could be breathing in
Old 3 Days Ago   #6 (permalink)

Seen this sort of set up before and it had a canopy much like a snooker table with a chimney on.enabling the mill to travel.
Old 3 Days Ago   #7 (permalink)

I thought about this, some sort of flexible ducting from the exhaust attached to a roof mounted extractor, but the ducting would have to be long to allow for the movement of the engine as the head travels up and down (WM LT40).
Old 3 Days Ago   #8 (permalink)

This was just a zinc canopy the length of the michine but over the exhust of the engine about 6 inches wide on to a what looked like a 9 inch flue pipe centre location.
Old 3 Days Ago   #9 (permalink)

It was back in the 1980 s over a large band sawmill with a six inch wide band largest mill I have ever seen.
Attached Images

Old 3 Days Ago   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ck View Post

Cheers
Can't see any problems with this. I've run 35kW generators in 20' shipping containers with just vents cut in the doors and the exhaust piped through the roof.