warping and splitting oak

malc

recently i tried milling for the first time with some 2ft diameter oak that had been felled 6 years ago. thinking that this would be ok I sanded it to make into chopping boards for Christmas presents. but some have cracked and others have warped to the point that they move so obviously can't be used.

I came across a dead oak that has been hanging in another tree for years. which the land owner says I can have.

my question is that do you think I could cut and sand these for Christmas? and do you think they will still dry and crack, even though the tree has been dead for years?

thanks

WP_20161128_14_12_03_Pro.jpg.39f445f18537ad4f0394658c6b5dce17.jpg

I find Oak a real pain to dry and mill as posts or beams and that old tree will still have some moisture in it. If you are desperate for some kiln dried Oak some b&q stores sell milled boards as do some of the lads on here sell plenty but still good chance of movement once brought inside.

Edited by 54gka

There is a lot to know and understand about " seasoning " of wood , moving wood to an indoor environment from out doors at this time of year is almost certain to cause problems , try to use quarter sawn boards for more stability . If you make chopping boards from one piece warping is more likely , I often cut them in half and turn one half over before joining back together , before finishing , Ash and sycamore are more stable in my experience .https://www.facebook.com/446049848933646/photos/pcb.448003152071649/448002828738348/?type=3 A 2 piece chopping board 18" dia (oak )

Edited by devon TWiG

The tree in the photo still has part of its root plate in the ground and therefore will still have some water flowing through the pores.

Planks milled from a felled hardwood log regardless of how long it is since being felled all require about the same amount of time to dry, with Oak it's a year per inch of thickness.

Even if you put them in a kiln, you're still better to leave all tannin woods a year to air dry first.