Beef steak fungus on oak.

muttley9050

I've got a couple of 4ft oak butts lying in the field ready for milling. Had an inkling that one may have a touch of brown oak in. Anyway lately a load of large fungus that I'm largely certain is fistulina hepatica has appeared over the butt end.

So will this make the oak brown and what's favourite to do with it. Mill it or leave it longer to go browner if it will now it's dead?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

my understanding of it is that the relationship is symbiotic so in theory it won't cause more browning once sap has stopped moving???

is there no visible timber james?

can you not assess the look of the timber from a cut branch?

you should be able to see the timber colour by cutting in just past the sapwood in an out of the way area.

if it is brown oak it would be fantastic for turning blanks.

I found this one yesterday, too late for eating but since it's on a standing stem that previously threw out the crown, I was thinking it may be one to watch for later felling and perhaps trying to gently lower to avoid shake. The thrown top should provide a cracking gate post if I get the Alaskan on it!

http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/fistulina-hepatica.php

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1475393730.366582.jpg.65cc1ef6a4f01fdba03d3ca3497b9588.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1475393682.764310.jpg.1833eab302a999f0c7f3b43359b1b610.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1475393703.696946.jpg.520dbe900a391926925566573f2e7c23.jpg

my understanding of it is that the relationship is symbiotic so in theory it won't cause more browning once sap has stopped moving???

you should be able to see the timber colour by cutting in just past the sapwood in an out of the way area.

They were already a bit greyed on the cuts when I took delivery and that was over a year ago, probably 2. Will trim 10mm on the end next Time I'm in the field with a saw and have a look.

Intend to mill then in the next month anyway as I have a load of other stuff I want to mill.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

Not sure that you'd call it symbiotic, as it colonies both dead and living wood. Normally it's found decaying the heartwood but can be present for many years.

Won't go more brown once felled. If left too long before felling, tree will fall over anyway as fungus weakens cell structure of timber. Because of this, do not use brown oak for structural purposes. Steve's right, does turn nicely; less splintery than white oak but can be difficult to keep a crisp edge. Timber is darker brown at the base, getting lighter and stripier as you gain altitude. I like it!