Logosol PH360

Stompy

Hey guys

After a bit of advice if I may.....

I'm close to buying a 4 sided planer/moulder. I have a good deal on a SCM Compact XL with Tersa blocks and was pretty set on it until I got offered a used Logosol PH360 by one of my clients in Germany.

Does anyone have one or has used one?

They look great little machines and I know there may be a little timber prep work needed before puting timber through due to the lack of decent sized and solid infeed table but the larger capacity appeals to me.

They also look a lot easier to set up and maintain. They also use spindle blocks on the side cutters (Of which I have loads) and have the option of putting moulding cutters in the top and bottom blocks.

My concern is that the machine will not be accurate or tough enough compared to a traditional 4 sider.

I work with reclaimed Oak, Chestnut and Elm.... all of which can be very hard and heavy. I produce everything from PAR timbers to finished flooring and mouldings.

So any advice on either machine or any thoughts from you guys in the know?

I was set on the SCM but now i'm torn......

I have a PH260 and I don't like it. I didn't like it before I bought it and I still don't like it. Flimsy construction, fiddly to set up and easy to break, particularly in the hands of employees.

That said, there isn't much else on the market that does the same job and I'll keep mine for the time being. I don't use it that often (I hate any kind of surfacing work) but when I do, it's worth it.

I have a couple of SCM machines and they are the dogs danglies! The are so heavily built and well engineered I never have any worries about what I put through them.

The machine that gets the most use is is a L'invicible Universal Woodworking machine, a 12" saw with sliding tables, a 1 1/4" spindle moulder and a 16" planer thicknesser with 3 separate 5.5kw 3 phase motors, it's a real beast of a machine, cast iron tops and it must weigh about 750kg.

The infeed and out feed tables on the planer are each 1000mm long!

I have a PH260 and I don't like it. I didn't like it before I bought it and I still don't like it. Flimsy construction, fiddly to set up and easy to break, particularly in the hands of employees.

That said, there isn't much else on the market that does the same job and I'll keep mine for the time being. I don't use it that often (I hate any kind of surfacing work) but when I do, it's worth it.

Does beg the question why you bought it?

I've a ph 260 and I can't knock it its a great machine accurate and we'll built and it's movable with a pump truck 360kg.they are a pain to set up if you don't have the right setting tools but if you get yourself a setting kit sorted they are doddle. Ive been machining kiln dried oak on ours and it handles it no problems. I pass fresh sawn larch through it to with no problems. I use 120x60 steel whitehill cutters on it and it spins them up fine and will move a huge amount of timber very quickly in one pass.

Edited by AdamnRalph

• 2 weeks later...

I think for your sort of timber I'd head to the SCM. When you look at the strength of the spindles, the total power available and the heft of the machine, I think it probably floors a PH360. With the amount you may have to hog off some of your rougher and more random boards to get to square and level I think you need the strength.

I use a PH260 a lot (and I'm a big fan), and I know that the 360 is a fair bit tougher, but I think it's still probably a owner/operator machine for tidily sized timber. I use a disposable planer knife conversion in mine, which is fantastic- easy to change and cheap to run without having to change to full-on Tersa heads.

The euro/ whitehill cutter adaptability is very useful and they are cheap if you smack into anything, but their life is quite limited when compared to full on hefty moulder heads with corrugated knives. I know there is a big jump in tooling costs, but I think on reclaimed boards (again) you need the strength, if (!) you can guarantee nail free timber going in.

Even if you just did PAR work with Tersa blocks, you'd get the opportunity of finding any naughty nails before going near much more expensive knives.