Anyone had any noise complaints from milling?

OliB

Sawing managed logs into valuable and environmentally sustainable timber always made me feel quite positive. Very little "footprint" so to speak, especially when I use waste for firewood and woodchip.

I'm in a rural farming area. A working landscape. It's very pleasant, but everyone is busy making a living. Lots of various machines, barns, workshops etc.

But a while back a guy (admittedly a guy who moved from a big city to retire here) jumped my fence to comment on the noise. He agreed it's better since I stopped chainsaw milling and bought a woodmizer, but objected against the noise. I didn't think the woodmizer is particularly noisy, or that this objection was very realistic. (to be clear, any neighbours are separated by multiples of fields, and/or woodlands, not yards). But just wondered if others have had similar objections, or have a difference of opinion.

I can't think of any way of minimizing the noise. I think it's more the zzzz mosquito noise of the band that upset this guy, rather than the petrol head.

Not that I am hugely concerned. Both wild and domestic animals come very close whilst I'm working, so they don't care, or show any signs of distress. Everyone else who runs businesses round here are too busy to notice. I guess it's just the incomers who want their little patches of countryside to be retirement homes, not working landscapes.

Oli

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's always the big city types! Clueless about country living! Escape to the country has a lot to answer for!

Leave a tractor on tickover from 9am for a few hours, revving occasionally & moving the odd pallet around (that's what my smallholding landlord does for no apparent reason apart from to get away from his Mrs ) but nothing winds me up more - especially on a Sunday... The sound of your saw will then be music to his ears ;-)

I'd tell him to rod off! You've got nothin to feel guilty about especially if there's a bit o ground between you, I understand if you just want to keep the peace but people like him should appreciate that the countryside is where this sort o thing goes on, it should be a busy working environment as well as a place of beauty in order for it to thrive not somewhere preserved in aspic for wealthy retirees and leisure seekers. I remember people visiting us whinging about the smell of cow **** and the dust from harvesting! Good ******* grief, **** em.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Reality distortion syndrome. Everything arrives quietly, hygenically prepackaged in retail outlets. Yeah right!

I do some felling in the woods nr my parents. If the wind is one way they hear nothing. If it's the other way it's sounds louder than it does in the woods, due to echoes and such.

Also if I chip at my parents yard the village over a mile away here it if wind is that way. In between is fields, trees and hedges.

Thing is, the way you paint the picture, you as a hardworking environmentally conscious local, versus moaning incoming townie leaves little doubt who we should be rooting for.

It's all irrelevant really unless you just want a little feel-good agreement from on here.

It is an annoying noise.

Are you all legal? If so, nothing that worry about. If he can put in a complaint about noise that might stick, then maybe you could show willing, erect some kind of sound absorbing fence, only mill in working hours etc.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Thing is, the way you paint the picture, you as a hardworking environmentally conscious local, versus moaning incoming townie leaves little doubt who we should be rooting for.

It's all irrelevant really unless you just want a little feel-good agreement from on here.

It is an annoying noise.

Are you all legal? If so, nothing that worry about. If he can put in a complaint about noise that might stick, then maybe you could show willing, erect some kind of sound absorbing fence, only mill in working hours etc.

Well said that man:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Basically blow-ins think the rural scene is bird song and sunsets. Forestry happens in forests. Don't move next to an RAF base and complain about the noise of planes. Don't move to the country and moan about tractors. I mill and I'm considerate. But wood needs cutting and that's that. Trees fall down.

Ah the old noise complaints. Bit like church bells love them or hate them.

Are you able to put some stacked jumbo bags of soil between your saw area and him ? Very little effort on your part and then next time he comes you can at least say you've done what you can but thats it. Takes the wind out of their sails if you are trying a bit.