smoking meat in a wood burning stove?

flatyre

Last year I caught a lot of mackerel and decided to smoke some of it in an old metal barbeque. Basically smothered the burning coals under damp oak chips, put the fish on a rack, closed the lid and adjusted the vents to allow just enough air to keep the chips smouldering without bursting into flames. The fillets were cooked in about two hours, which is a bit too quick, but had a lovely smoked taste.

Anyway I have a small Stanley stove in the living room, but in order to keep it burning all night I need to shut the air vent almost off so the logs also smoulder rather than burn. Problem is the lack of draw means the glass is covered in sticky residue. This is just an idea but my local butcher sells ham shanks/ham hocks which are tasty but need to be slow cooked. They make great roasts in the oven over root vegetables, or in a pot with lots of herbs and spices to make pulled pork. If I put a slab of oak on the stove and set the shank on top and left it for a few hours, would it give the meat a nice flavour, or just poison me?

The traditional method of smoking is to hang it in the chimney for a couple of weeks, which is why old farmhouses have huge chimneys.

Doesn't work so well with a wood burner though as the flue temperatures are much higher.

I built an outdoor hot smoker last year, not difficult and lots of info online.

Last year I caught a lot of mackerel and decided to smoke some of it in an old metal barbeque. Basically smothered the burning coals under damp oak chips, put the fish on a rack, closed the lid and adjusted the vents to allow just enough air to keep the chips smouldering without bursting into flames. The fillets were cooked in about two hours, which is a bit too quick, but had a lovely smoked taste.

Anyway I have a small Stanley stove in the living room, but in order to keep it burning all night I need to shut the air vent almost off so the logs also smoulder rather than burn. Problem is the lack of draw means the glass is covered in sticky residue. This is just an idea but my local butcher sells ham shanks/ham hocks which are tasty but need to be slow cooked. They make great roasts in the oven over root vegetables, or in a pot with lots of herbs and spices to make pulled pork. If I put a slab of oak on the stove and set the shank on top and left it for a few hours, would it give the meat a nice flavour, or just poison me?

Hi mate mackerel are great taste mate I keep telling my self we will go each mackerel fish this year we will thanks Jon

Hi mate mackerel are great taste mate I keep telling my self we will go each mackerel fish this year we will thanks Jon

we went to a place called clachtoll up the north of scotland the mackerel were so abundant we were trying to fish on the seabed and we couldn't get thru them there must have been millions of them easy fishing but a pain in the butt if you want something else other than mackies

Sticky residue on the stove glass?

We've been told never to do this, letting WB's 'slumber' overnight using wood, as the residue will be up the flue too - risking a chimney fire....

I clean out the flue every autumn before lighting the stove for the first time. If its been particularly cold i'll give it a brush mid winter. Its good practice even if you are burning well seasoned wood. But thanks for the advice, can't be too careful. The residue doesn't seem to stick anywhere else, like the fire brick lining or the roof or grating, or even the unburned wood when the draw isn't enough and the fire goes out. Maybe it sort of condenses on the glass:confused1:

Having had a side of Salmon cooked on a barbeque, but on a cedar plank that had been soaked (in water for 24 hrs), it was delicious, I would give it a go. But overnight would be too long, the oak would be burned up and the crackling charred beyond all recognition. Just a guess, but go for it and let us all know how you get on.