why do some people take the stihl/husky debate so seriously?

flatyre

Walked into Tesco the other day on my way back from a job. Was wearing a Husqvarna jacket I bought for safety reasons, it was in a sale at the dealership, and a Stihl cap I got free with some new chains. Some guy asked me why I was wearing stihl and husky? He told me I was confused??? Personally I don't care what the label says, and don't get the whole diehard attitude to one or the other.

I have both makes of saw, some are great and I have total faith in them, others are over priced unreliable and only good to keep as backups. I do most of my own servicing and rebuilds and reckon both makes are even with regards to design and build quality, I also think both makes are heading towards being over engineered. There is no doubt in my mind that both firms older saws were better, heavier, thirstier, less powerful, but more reliable when kept right, and much easier to fix with some basic tools out in the field. I have seen modern saws play up and need weeks at the dealers to put right, no good if your flat out.

Anyway back to the point, i'm sure some of you guys have paid big money for a saw and had bad luck with it. And maybe you had shity service from a certain dealer. Is this a good excuse to rubbish the entire brand? Is it as much a case of people just like to have something to run down? Only asking as some w**ker thought it important enough to voice his opinion to a stranger, that and I see folk posting on here asking for advice on what saw to buy and a lot of guys go straight to the "only one saw mate" answer!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to be stihl loyal,looking back,i dont know why.

Ive used predominantly stihl saws but i got my first husky 540xp a while back for subbie work and rate it very highly,its better than any stihl top handlers ive used.

Maybe some people-myself included-buy what were used too,creatures of habit and all that,so we become brand loyal.

Its a bit cheeky for some random fella to challenge you in a shop for wearing two branded items...i wear stihl,husky and stein clothing at work and no one has ever commented on brand mix and match....

Edited by stihlmadasever

Human nature to a degree, a bit like arguing about football for hours on end, it seems that some people feel the need to validate their choice not by giving the reasons they use what they use but by rubbishing the things they don't use.

There are guys out there earning a living using all makes of saws, in the end it isn't about the saw.

Strangely although I own a Husky but don't own a Stihl I used both an MS200T and T540XP doing my CS39 and preferred the MS200T, probably down to being a novice and the Husky seemed a bit hairy for me.

I do own Stihl boots though, guess that means I can't use a Husky saw now

Edited by R Mac

Human nature to a degree, a bit like arguing about football for hours on end, it seems that some people feel the need to validate their choice not by giving the reasons they use what they use but by rubbishing the things they don't use.

There are guys out there earning a living using all makes of saws, in the end it isn't about the saw.

Strangely although I own a Husky but don't own a Stihl I used both an MS200T and T540XP doing my CS39 and preferred the MS200T, probably down to being a novice and the Husky seemed a bit hairy for me.

Whaddya mean "hairy"? you know nothing, the 540 is the culmination of human technology and evolution and the 200 is weaker than a chinchilla with the flu. You muppet!

(Or is it the other way round? I can never remember!)

I'm moving over to this brand:

Elagueuse thermique FPCSP25 25cm 900w - CASTORAMA

At todays exchange rate this rather jolly 'topper' works out at a mere £59 so considering the repair bills we get for both Husky and Stihl top handles, it would be cheaper to buy one of these every month!

Ty:thumbup:

Whaddya mean "hairy"? you know nothing, the 540 is the culmination of human technology and evolution and the 200 is weaker than a chinchilla with the flu. You muppet!

(Or is it the other way round? I can never remember!)

Well of course you're wrong (or are you) :biggrin: