What next l4/l6 or degree

wilko560

Evening all I'm looking for people opinions on which is a more suitable path to follow either doing a l4 diploma through tree life then progressing onto a l6 or doing the bsc in arb and urban forestry at Myerscrough college, I have completed a l3 diploma in forestry in and arb and want to take my qualifications further, eventually I would like to be in a position such as a tree office or consultant, it would be great to hear people's opinions and share there experience of both courses, many thanks Darren

Take a look at the course syllabus for both, as there is some variation between the two. As someone put it on here before, if you want to become a consultant is it better to be trained by a consultant or by a lecturer? Of course, if the lecturer was a consultant then this muddies the waters a little. Alternatively, if you're seeking an academic path where you go into research, a degree may be a good option.

I am doing the Lvl 4 this year and I can genuinely say it is very good. Thoroughly enjoyable, and the in-class discussions are great.

Regardless of which path you choose, make sure you buy plenty of books and know how to navigate Google Scholar.

The lvl 4 is one lesson every few weeks (ever 2-4 weeks) for an entire day (9-4), with each session having 4-6 assignments set (and some multiple-choice quizzes that can be done as open-book from your computer and with unlimited time allowances). The standard is high, so expect to write a fair bit for assignments (up to a few thousand per, at times), and being able to reference with the Harvard System is advised. For a uni degree, correct referencing would be mandatory.

Regardless, start taking photos and documenting stuff you see - particularly fungi and structural isues with trees. It's good to add photos to assignments, or to study on their own.

If you are thinking of a future career where it will help to have letters after your name to secure a job, rather than just the knowledge gained from the training, I suggest the BSc.

The wider world, be it an individual tree owner or the estate management/site services department of a company is unlikely to be familiar with the different levels or understand what they mean, whereas BSc is 'portable' - fwiw even beyond arb.

Alec