sub standard chainsaw course

hooch

Hi I am looking for some advice. two of my staff attended a training course for what was cs 30 31.

the trainer appears to have not taught them the correct techniques i.e. not shown them the dog tooth cut.

along with this he has had them doing a pushing cut for the felling cut and not followed the spec for the site and generally left it in a mess which I will have to tidy up.

any advice about what to do ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this sums up a lot of training.

Candidates are being instructed to pass an assessment, which a lot of instructors should not be deemed as competent in.

Getting more and more of a box ticking exercise with little consideration to the real working environment.

There are some really good instructors out there but a lot of reputations are built on price, pass rate and enjoyment! The people reviewing the training should be those that are experienced and working with someone after training.

Training is never going to produce a finished article, but a safe foundation should be the minimum.

Hi I am looking for some advice. two of my staff attended a training course for what was cs 30 31.

the trainer appears to have not taught them the correct techniques i.e. not shown them the dog tooth cut.

along with this he has had them doing a pushing cut for the felling cut and not followed the spec for the site and generally left it in a mess which I will have to tidy up.

any advice about what to do ?

If you feel agrieved first port of call is Lantra,a strongly worded email might highlight your complaint.

Second to that is not to use that instructor again.If it was me id request a days training -free of charge-to teach your guys what they should have been taught in the first place.

Im pretty sure the dogtooth/plunge cut is mandatory as used for forward leaning trees,certainly was at my assesment.

Good luck

Have had a few problems like this recently.

A chipper course I booked for two of my guys, the instructor turned up at 10, they left at 2pm and had an hour and a half lunch. Never changed any blades, anvil, filters. No servicing. Only put one branch through.

Same for multiple windblown. Suppose to be a 3 day course, they only did 1 as the instructor said it was too windblown!!!!

We pay high prices for courses and should at least get a quality product.

I know what you mean but,maybe confronting the trainer would end in tears(ie his)maybe best left to lantra to deal with the assessor instead

If you appointed a training provider yourself, you should make your complaint to them in the first instance. Your contract would be with the training provider rather than the assessing body