mini digger accessory questions....

SteveA

Got a few questions....

1) Would a hydraulic thumb grab be powerful enough to split logs?.... at 35 litres/ minute flow rate.

2) Has anyone fitted a hydraulic cable winch to their mini digger? Any suitable solutions out there?

3) What are the limits for towing/ forwarding big lumps of timber out of the woods?

Thinking of doing the above using a Takeuchi TB016.... (1.7t digger).

Any advice appreciated.

cheers, steve

I suppose you could make up a splitter hear, hydraulic thumb, but the geometry and power would be ltd, easier to make up a splitter and put it on the hitch, more control and simple.

Winch wise, simple enough to mount 1 on the blade and plug into the ram for the blade, but really slow and would easily get in the way.

Forwarding, you have to think about the pumps that work the tracks.

My Arbdigger thread is worth a read, all the questions, theories and others ideas are all on there.

LPG Eddie is the guru who has done it all, and has a very pucka 8 tonner, but there are lots of guys out there with 1 tonner sand upwards with new and home made kit working daily saving back ache! :)

I used to have the same digger as you Steve- I don't think you will get a satisfactory setup trying to split logs using a thumb grab- i don't really see how you plan to do it but i imagine by having a splitting wedge welded on to the grab/thumb bit somehow?- Personally i would forget it and just buy a small 10ton oxdale log splitter (about £5-600 and run it off your auxillerys- this is what i did and the Tak ran it very well- quick too. You just jam a bit of wood under the pedal to keep the hydraulics free flowing and use the log splitter controls- nice and controlled.

I suppose you could make up a splitter hear, hydraulic thumb, but the geometry and power would be ltd, easier to make up a splitter and put it on the hitch, more control and simple.

Winch wise, simple enough to mount 1 on the blade and plug into the ram for the blade, but really slow and would easily get in the way.

My Arbdigger thread is worth a read, all the questions, theories and others ideas are all on there.

LPG Eddie is the guru who has done it all, and has a very pucka 8 tonner, but there are lots of guys out there with 1 tonner sand upwards with new and home made kit working daily saving back ache! :)

Thanks Stephen - I keep a regular check on your arb diggers page, in fact I've just plodded through all 112 pages for a refresh, that took a while!!

cheers, steve

I used to have the same digger as you Steve- I don't think you will get a satisfactory setup trying to split logs using a thumb grab- i don't really see how you plan to do it but i imagine by having a splitting wedge welded on to the grab/thumb bit somehow?- Personally i would forget it and just buy a small 10ton oxdale log splitter (about £5-600 and run it off your auxillerys- this is what i did and the Tak ran it very well- quick too. You just jam a bit of wood under the pedal to keep the hydraulics free flowing and use the log splitter controls- nice and controlled.

Hi Mathew, Yep I was getting close to buying your TB016! :thumbup:

I've been looking at the RSL hydraulic thumb grab, looks good and could be a useful multipurpose tool for various jobs.... like scrub clearance, turning compost heaps, lifting stuff.

I think you're right about getting a separate log-splitter.... I'm just trying to think of ways of reducing outgoing costs, at least initially. Maybe the Fiskars axe will do us for a while?!

I fitted a 50mm towball to the dozer blade and have been using a 1500kg single axle trailer - It's amazing how much weight the TB016 will pull (so long as there's enough track-traction).

So I'm toying with the idea of using some kind of log-arch trailer. But I haven't seen anyone doing this with a small digger yet.

cheers, steve

Far from done it all Stephen, every day is a school day in my book, I just happen to be lucky enough to have my hobby as my day job!:thumbup:

I think you should take a look at one of these Winches I've had an eye on Stephen?

Very trick setup with two hydraulic motors, which you can select for speed or power. There are some decent load ratings to be had, and most importantly a fast speed that still retains a pull capable of shifting a decent lump of timber.

Shouldn't be difficult to make a very tidy mount for in the back of the blade that won't get in the way?

You could get a decent length of plasma rope on too which will be easy to handle and safe.

Trydent Twin Motor Winch

Eddie.

Hi Mathew, Yep I was getting close to buying your TB016! :thumbup:

I've been looking at the RSL hydraulic thumb grab, looks good and could be a useful multipurpose tool for various jobs.... like scrub clearance, turning compost heaps, lifting stuff.

I think you're right about getting a separate log-splitter.... I'm just trying to think of ways of reducing outgoing costs, at least initially. Maybe the Fiskars axe will do us for a while?!

I fitted a 50mm towball to the dozer blade and have been using a 1500kg single axle trailer - It's amazing how much weight the TB016 will pull (so long as there's enough track-traction).

So I'm toying with the idea of using some kind of log-arch trailer. But I haven't seen anyone doing this with a small digger yet.

cheers, steve

Just watch the weight you are pulling with digger has I use a similar setup with tow hitch on blade and a track motor sheared bolts and spewed it's contents on block paving !

The oil gets excessively hot towing .

Ste

Far from done it all Stephen, every day is a school day in my book, I just happen to be lucky enough to have my hobby as my day job!:thumbup:

I think you should take a look at one of these Winches I've had an eye on Stephen?

Very trick setup with two hydraulic motors, which you can select for speed or power. There are some decent load ratings to be had, and most importantly a fast speed that still retains a pull capable of shifting a decent lump of timber.

Shouldn't be difficult to make a very tidy mount for in the back of the blade that won't get in the way?

You could get a decent length of plasma rope on too which will be easy to handle and safe.

Trydent Twin Motor Winch

Eddie.

Thanks eddie, looks very posh. Would be good to see a video of it in action. cheers, Steve

Just watch the weight you are pulling with digger has I use a similar setup with tow hitch on blade and a track motor sheared bolts and spewed it's contents on block paving !

The oil gets excessively hot towing .

Ste

gulp! That doesn't sound cheap.

I have noticed the track motors can get warm on a full load.

I leave the engine ticking over/ circulating hydraulic fluid at either end of the journey so it has a good chance to cool down. Not sure if this makes any difference though? :confused1:

cheers, steve