Solutions for trees on footpaths/sidewalks/curbs

Island Lescure

Trying to find some ideas to put forward to get many of the street trees to not be cut down as some are disturbing the footpaths and curbs. I have "Trees in hard landscapes","Through the Trees to Development" and the amenity tree books. Anyone know of anything else that deals specifically with these solutions or examples of such in other cities? Any ideas welcome. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Island

The first thing you need to change is human nature and the blame culture! If a council gets sued for say a pedestrian tripping over a raised flag and injuring themselves it's often cheaper by far to get rid of the problem before something happened.

Ian: Yes the culture is a long way from being appreciative that the few disadvantages trees bring are outweighed by their advantages. There is a big outcry here, however, that trees are being removed with little reason. There is a 10,000+ strong petition to halt tree removals along the roads until a tree strategy is in place. This is obviously for trees that are not dead, dangerous etc...There have been meetings with the council and Amey, newspaper articles written, groups set up. Lots of people are getting involved. So in my view, there are basically 3 things that need doing:

Raising awareness about tree benefits and limitations

Providing alternatives to avoid the removal of trees that are fine now

Formulating and implementing a full city tree strategy.

Gary: Cheers

I am wondering if it is not possible to just raise the sidewalk in some places to give the roots more room using no dig construction; geo textiles and load spreaders. As long as one still has the clearance to open a car door, the height of the pavement should not really matter or?

I am wondering if it is not possible to just raise the sidewalk in some places to give the roots more room using no dig construction; geo textiles and load spreaders. As long as one still has the clearance to open a car door, the height of the pavement should not really matter or?

Of course there is scope for this, but it's "too much effort" for most. People aren't trained (nor paid) to think 'outside' of the box unfortunately - only the norm is perpetuated, which is root severance, or tree removal. For all the spiel of "move the target, not the tree", it happens very infrequently.

Anyway...

Yes, one can 'bridge' over tree roots. Research for Amenity Trees 8 covers this, I do believe.

The Landscape Below Ground series? I, II, and III.

No, there is a book particular to conflicts with sidewalks.

The American pavement/sidewalk is generally different though, I believe, being cast in situ concrete. IIRC, after reading the book I'm thinking of, the only real avoidance to damage seems to be re-routing the path. I can't recall any 'one size fits all' solutions.