In Fungal Decomposition of Wood: Its Biology and Ecology.

Gary Prentice

That is a good book to be sure. In looking over my copy, much of the information that I use from the text is in the research papers by the authors and their students, and most of the papers are available from their research websites I don't know the state of inter-library loan in the UK, but my local library (two doors down from my home) gets me most anything for a week or two loan, from libraries across the country. Then I can copy what I need, under our "fair use" for scholarship provisions of our copyright law. Sure photocopies or scans are not nearly as rewarding as having the whole book, but if it is otherwise unavailable, well, the information should still be available.

But maybe I misunderstand. The above would be of no interest for the book collector, but for the practitioner, it might work.

As for reprinting...I expect that Wiley-Interscience would need an updated text, which would be quite a task!

That is a good book to be sure. In looking over my copy, much of the information that I use from the text is in the research papers by the authors and their students, and most of the papers are available from their research websites I don't know the state of inter-library loan in the UK, but my local library (two doors down from my home) gets me most anything for a week or two loan, from libraries across the country. Then I can copy what I need, under our "fair use" for scholarship provisions of our copyright law. Sure photocopies or scans are not nearly as rewarding as having the whole book, but if it is otherwise unavailable, well, the information should still be available.

But maybe I misunderstand. The above would be of no interest for the book collector, but for the practitioner, it might work.

As for reprinting...I expect that Wiley-Interscience would need an updated text, which would be quite a task!

L. Boddy I think published information of desiccation tolerant fungi (on ash) in a separate journal, and one on elm as well I think. This research is featured, at least somewhat, in the book.

Kevin, Chris (Kveldssanger) has sent me a list of chapter titles - so some further research may pay off, failing that I'll have to join a library.

I'm not searching for it for the sake of owning it, but desire the contents, Chris quoted from it,in another thread, and identified a gap in my knowledge that I should be looking into more. Education always costs!

• 1 month later...