closing / blocking a pavement

jimthedog

Hi all,

What is the correct procedure when closing off a pavement to do some work on the trees above. We have done plenty of trees over pavements but always on side streets where there is not much foot fall a few cones signs barrier tape Bob's ur uncle. I looked at a job today with trees over a busy pavement and a busy road also so I can't just pop some cones up and ask people would you mind crossing 4 lanes of traffic? as the chance are that some one will get pi$$@* off and report us to the council.

Any advice much appreciated.

Jim

It comes under nrswa, (chapter 8) so you need the ticket to do it. As silly as that may sound, if someone gets run over you are responsible so I would say it's worth doing by the book.

If you need to close a footpath you need to provide an alternative, usually by closing a lane and putting 2 lines of proper barriers up to create a new footpath in the road.

As Pete says it comes under chapter 8 as technically you need an operative to put out the signs and a supervisor to check it! You need to apply for permission to do so as well with the LA, the way in which you apply will depend on the LA and their procedure. We had to close on recently with tfl and it's not an easy procedure. The issue would come if you put some signs, cones and barrier tape out and somebody got clipped by a car. Remember some of the general public are not the sharpest knives in the draw and happily walk in the middle of a main road! Google footpath closure and the LA that concerns you and the correct info should come up

I tried once to close a footpath to cut a hedge as previously had trouble with members of the public getting in the way.the hedge was on a private track and as such we used to stand on the back of the truck to get to the top and some of the high sides.

permission was not given as we were told to stand on the ground and use long reach pruners to cut it.

we dont bother to cut it anymore as a result as I was sick of having to keep moving out the way for the odd dog walker who refused to simply walk a different way.

my advice, close it and crack on. By the time anything is said or done, you are long finished.

in this day and age when people will claim compo for any reason, I think we are perfectly within our rights to cone off a work zone without all the nonsense that goes with it!!