Busy Plod

aspenarb

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They do this now and then to make out they do some police work! Last time i got stopped was because they said were checking for stolen chippers, fair enough. They still tried to do me for towing it behind a transit as would bring my total weight to over 3500kg, wouldn't let me tow away until I had him show me the applicable law, at which point he backed down when I proved him wrong

It's a shame they can't do some proper policing as well, easy pickings when they do those checks as the crime comes to them, but to catch thieves takes a bit more effort, something Essex police would rather not do anymore it appears, my £10k theft didn't even warrant an officer coming out because it wasn't enough value, it wasn't until I kicked up they decided they should probably sent someone out :dontknow:

I am not knocking what they do with these checks, but they use huge amounts of police resources to do them and they do them without any thought to the complete traffic chaos they cause, the last one they done at Tollgate caused a partial blocking of the A12, creating a very dangerous situation, and it's all at a cost to community policing.

They also appear to make the law up as they go, my mother in law was made to get 2 new tyres fitted locally on her van at one of these checks because the ones on it were nearly illegal, well nearly illegal means they were still legal.

Yep . Read all that . No stolen chainsaws , chippers or climbing equipment found then ? Must have cost hundreds of thousands to set that up . Pity they wont do that for us .....

How would they go about this ? Polling up to working crews and asking them for proof they own their tackle would not go down very well, how many carry their receipts round with them ? There isn't a database for them to check like there is with road vehicles.

How would they go about this ? Polling up to working crews and asking them for proof they own their tackle would not go down very well, how many carry their receipts round with them ? There isn't a database for them to check like there is with road vehicles.

If you had one nicked I think it might go down ok ......

amongst other things they caught 12 uninsured drivers & 14 vehicles with no MOT. I don't understand why the police are being criticised here....

When you have been burgled and lost everything and your lively hood is on the line and plod says we don't have the resources available to look into it reading this would leave a sour taste in your mouth!

They also appear to make the law up as they go, my mother in law was made to get 2 new tyres fitted locally on her van at one of these checks because the ones on it were nearly illegal, well nearly illegal means they were still legal.

While I take your point, surely tyres need changing "before" they become illegal, otherwise you have committed an offence, so by definition tyres should be changed when "nearly illegal", so the plod were correct really.