Replacement for Stihl 034

West Highlander

My trusty Stihl 034 is beyond economical repair after something like 15 years. We heat 2 large houses with wood from our own woods so it gets used fairly intensely for only a few days a year then sits in the shed.

I have been recommended a Husqvarna 555 but am inclined to go for the Stihl MS391. Bearing in mind that these will not get constant pro use, does anyone have any thoughts on these (or any other saws that might be appropriate)?

Thanks

Hi

The 034 was a rather good saw if I recall,

Both those you list are slightly larger cc wise, if thats what you want then a Husky 365 is a rather good buy: 70cc, non auto-tune with plenty of power to pull a 20" bar on 3/8th similar weight to 391, its also about the same price.

Im sure Dolmar & Echo will feature in the alternatives as they seem pretty good & have a strong following here, used to use a Dolly some years ago but not tried the later ones - yet!

N

Edited by NFG

Thanks, so 2 votes for the 365. Which is heavier and more powerful than the 555 or 391 and lacks the auto tune the 555 has. Why would I not want that? Bearing in mind I am an occasional user I'd thought it would be useful to have it to compensate for my lack of knowledge.

I use an 18" bar btw.

Edit,just checked and it is heavier than the 555, but only very slightly more than the 391.

Edited by West Highlander

Thanks, so 2 votes for the 365. Which is heavier and more powerful than the 555 or 391 and lacks the auto tune the 555 has. Why would I not want that? Bearing in mind I am an occasional user I'd thought it would be useful to have it to compensate for my lack of knowledge.

I use an 18" bar btw.

Autotune is great for a pro saw in use every day, it optimises performance, but like most things electronic, when it goes wrong you're buggered.

The 365 is a time tested grafter. No fancy gimmicks, just torque. Plus, its an easy mod to make it into a 372, if that's your thing.

You won't regret the 365, but if you're in a budget, a Stihl 038 is a good plodder on an 18", stupidly well built, reliable and easy to use.

I use an 18" bar btw.

Edit,just checked and it is heavier than the 555, but only very slightly more than the 391.

OK, the 391 - 365 difference is + 0.2 Kg, shouldn't be much difference to a West Highlander :biggrin: & with more power, you wont be holding it for as long.

365 be quick on 18"

Autotune is great for a pro saw in use every day, it optimises performance, but like most things electronic, when it goes wrong you're buggered.
couldnt have put it better myself.

N

OK, the 391 - 365 difference is + 0.2 Kg, shouldn't be much difference to a West Highlander :biggrin: & with more power, you wont be holding it for as long.

365 be quick on 18"

couldnt have put it better myself.

N

I wouldn't quote factory specified weights - they are almost always incorrect.

An 034AV(though I have seen one weigh a few ounces less than this one here):

158986793.bpdNbFFW.034av.JPG

365xt(same weight as a 372xt):

154935747.Uh8QrOnK.Phone1605.jpg

The 555 weighs similarly to the 034(but it a much better saw in stock form):

154935607.2Ke9XIDe.555image.jpg

I haven't weighed it yet, but our 391 feels as heavy as my 044 does. Judging by the weight of the 460 rancher, I wouldn't be surprised if the 391 weighed the same as a 365xt - which would be a better choice than the 391 in my opinion.

You may also want to check what dealers do you have local to you, and what prices are they asking for their saws?

Personally, for a home owner that wants to run an 18" bar, I would go with a 261cm and 325 chain and just mod the muffler.

Thanks for the input. Closest dealer to me are A&B Services in Killin who are Husky dealers which may end up being the deciding factor.

Though I must admit I am prejudiced against Husky as my brother in law is evangelical about them and could see no good in Stihl. I'm half inclined to get another Stihl just to annoy him.

Getting pushed towards Efco by the dealer where I got my 034. They still supply Stihl, but are mostly Efco these days. I've heard mixed things about Efco so would rather stick with saws from the 'traditional' makers.

Edited by West Highlander

I wouldn't quote factory specified weights - they are almost always incorrect.

An 034AV(though I have seen one weigh a few ounces less than this one here):

158986793.bpdNbFFW.034av.JPG

365xt(same weight as a 372xt):

154935747.Uh8QrOnK.Phone1605.jpg

The 555 weighs similarly to the 034(but it a much better saw in stock form):

154935607.2Ke9XIDe.555image.jpg

I haven't weighed it yet, but our 391 feels as heavy as my 044 does. Judging by the weight of the 460 rancher, I wouldn't be surprised if the 391 weighed the same as a 365xt - which would be a better choice than the 391 in my opinion.

You may also want to check what dealers do you have local to you, and what prices are they asking for their saws?

Personally, for a home owner that wants to run an 18" bar, I would go with a 261cm and 325 chain and just mod the muffler.

Hi Wes,

I did have a look for your pics on weights as I know you have them on line somewhere - Arborsite maybe? (oops!)

Sorry my bad, but wish the blooming manufacturers wouldnt miss lead with their specs - still pref my 365 over a 391 anyday though :biggrin:

hows your 241 going as thats a nice saw?

N

Edited by NFG