Is it me, or are the Ash not strangely early this year???

skyhuck

Normally the Oak and the Ash are among the last to come into leaf, But this year many seem really, really early :confused1:

The Hawthorn are barely out, the Chestnuts are just opening, Sycamore are mostly still bare, I can never recall a year where Ash were out before Sycamore and Chestnut.

The old saying about "Ash before Oak and we are in for a soak, Oak before Ash and we are in for a splash" I presume is because these two are generally the last trees to leaf up.

If the old saying is true we are in serious trouble :001_huh: I may start building and Ark!!!!!!!!:001_huh:

Normally the Oak and the Ash are among the last to come into leaf, But this year many seem really, really early :confused1:

The Hawthorn are barely out, the Chestnuts are just opening, Sycamore are mostly still bare, I can never recall a year where Ash were out before Sycamore and Chestnut.

The old saying about "Ash before Oak and we are in for a soak, Oak before Ash and we are in for a splash" I presume is because these two are generally the last trees to leaf up.

If the old saying is true we are in serious trouble :001_huh: I may start building and Ark!!!!!!!!:001_huh:

Exactly the opposite hear oak are coming nicely ash very slow

Just commenting today that almost everything is coming at the same time. Ash, oak beech hornbeam and oak within 3 days. Last year the ash was last by an age.

Just looking out the window and I can add hawthorn, birch and sycamore to that list. Incredible realy everything in our hedgrow has sprung to life in just a few days and it's glorious :thumbup1:

Edited by Woodworks

Aye. Some birch aren't even out yet some oaks are breaking (though variation is significant) and ash are also breaking; particularly angustifolia. Ash have been in flower for a good while too, with a pennsylvanica having bud break for flowers way over a month ago.

My chestnuts have been growing for weeks and some ones where I work are in young yet sizable leaf.

Field maples again - some not out, some are. Norway maple in the garden is just breaking into flower.

As for lime, I suppose it has to be darn soon.

One goat willow was out in Feb, too. Not sure on exactly phenology of goat willow, however.

White poplars seem late.

Just commenting today that almost everything is coming at the same time. Ash, oak beech hornbeam and oak within 3 days. Last year the ash was last by an age

Sure was. Ash wasn't out until the first / second week of May last year if I recall correctly; by that I mean none were.