job cut to quarter size!

jmac

I was asked to dismantle and fell about 100 ton of unsafe beech trees for a local charity, they were not wanting to spend much money on the job so i agreed to carry out the work and my payment would be the timber. I was passing the other day and noticed one of the trees had been felled, when i asked the guy in charge he said they only wanted me to remove 1 large beech 1 med beech and a med pine that were beside the main road as they had a guy from the village felling the rest. Basically the jobs been cut by 75 ton! i had arranged to sell the timber to a firewood dealer so am now letting him down. Pissed me off a tad.

I am thinking about telling them to get on with it without me,

What would you do?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally i see your mistake was to do any work for wood as payment. Just because they are charity does not mean they can't afford to pay.

The price is the price regardless of the client and for me the wood is a by product of the work.

sorry meant to say they are a charitable trust who were given a small piece of woodland to look after, they dont collect money for sick children or anything like that, if that were the case i would not hesitate in doing the job. Just annoying that they get me to do the time consuming dismantling beside main road because im insured and give someone with no insurance the slightly easier and quicker felling part of the job.

Personally i see your mistake was to do any work for wood as payment. Just because they are charity does not mean they can't afford to pay.

The price is the price regardless of the client and for me the wood is a by product of the work.

Unless you agree otherwise, eg. I'll do the work for the wood.

sorry meant to say they are a charitable trust who were given a small piece of woodland to look after, they dont collect money for sick children or anything like that, if that were the case i would not hesitate in doing the job. Just annoying that they get me to do the time consuming dismantling beside main road because im insured and give someone with no insurance the slightly easier and quicker felling part of the job.

Now I understand your point. You have only been asked to do the difficult work which requires a pro and then their mate has been given the cream.

Tell em your busy, or you can squeeze them in for a fee, an inflated fee. :001_smile:

I do agree with you Robert.s its not a good practice doing tree work for wood but its very rare a customer wants the timber taken away from site in Argyll anyway, usually they want it for firewood. Firewood guy is desperate for hardwood so i could have made a decent wage on the job.