Inducing Dieback to a stem

Ruskins Trees

Looking for wisdom!

I am considering causing dieback to a trunk of a twin stemmed Oak. This is in preference to just cutting the stem off; as I want the tree to withdraw it's reserves in the stem, to benefit the rest of the tree before cutting the stem off.

We will then transplant the rest of the tree (not with a Tree Spade but using a larger rootball). The stem is growing much faster than the main stem (it has been monitored for 5 years). The stem is around 20cm diameter and the main stem is 40cm diameter. If the stem was left in place, in time the union with the main stem will fail / be a cause for concern.

What is the best way to achieve this? Ring barking but leaving a section of of bark (if so how much) ? Constricting the whole stem with a giant jubilee clip type of thing? Another way?

Has anyone done or seen anything similar either undertaken on purpose, by accident or a weird natural event?

Looking for wisdom!

I am considering causing dieback to a trunk of a twin stemmed Oak. This is in preference to just cutting the stem off; as I want the tree to withdraw it's reserves in the stem, to benefit the rest of the tree before cutting the stem off.

We will then transplant the rest of the tree (not with a Tree Spade but using a larger rootball). The stem is growing much faster than the main stem (it has been monitored for 5 years). The stem is around 20cm diameter and the main stem is 40cm diameter. If the stem was left in place, in time the union with the main stem will fail / be a cause for concern.

What is the best way to achieve this? Ring barking but leaving a section of of bark (if so how much) ? Constricting the whole stem with a giant jubilee clip type of thing? Another way?

Has anyone done or seen anything similar either undertaken on purpose, by accident or a weird natural event?

The trouble with the whole plan is that it needs time.

Causing dieback would mean doing something systemic, like root pruning, which would be hit-and-miss to say the least! Whatever you do with the stem you don't want, it will cause a drain on the trees energy economy as the tree tries to recover from the loss of canopy. If you reduce it gradually, dormant buds will activate and the tree will be, after each reduction, drawing on it's energy reserves to put some more leaves up; also the tree will put some effort into occluding the wound, which will be wasted effort if you are going to subsequently remove a bit more.

You might far better off biting the bullet (with I assume the 20cm stem?) and just removing it. However, if you're then going to move the tree, you'll be grossly wounding the root system as well.

Some folks subscribe to maintaining a balance between roots and shoots and what this (above) satisfies that idea as you'd lose both a proportion of the canopy and the root system... but you're also causing a lot of wounding up top and below ground, which the tree will have to cope with.

How old is the tree as the static mass/dynamic mass is relevent? A younger tree will cope better.

If it were me, I'd take off the problem stem now and give it a season or two of mulching and feeding (especially in the area of the proposed root ball) before you move it. Or just go ahead and move it as is, then tackle the problem stem. You might 'get lucky' and find that the move causes the 'problem stem' to die back!!

What's the deal with the tree? It's obviously getting a lot of care? Could we see some pictures?

We never prune the tree when transplanting. Tree will go into transplant shock no matter what care you take with it however, depending on the prep and care before the move, that's the difference between survival and death IMO. Oaks tend to transplant well, I'm assuming this limb will be in the way of the transplant process or is it for aesthetics? Cut the roots to the parameter of your root ball as soon as possible and lay down mulch and pea straw as organic matter. If done well you can see new root growth when being moved.

I'd also go with fazing out the limb with a reduction process, this can be as long as you and the client want. Maybe reduce now and then the next faze a year after the move or something like that.