Chainsaw course

slackbladder

Hi

been using a chainsaw for 30 + years with no bother but figured it might be time to get some sort of qualification

Use a 20" stihl and a smaller echo, Cutting logs up to 24" diameter

What course do I need and is there anywhere local to Hinckley in Leics that holds the courses

Never cut anything for profit so I only do it for my own benefit

Anybody help or am I just better off carrying on the way I have for 30 years

Hi

been using a chainsaw for 30 + years with no bother but figured it might be time to get some sort of qualification

What course do I need and is there anywhere local to Hinckley in Leics that holds the courses

TBH, If you are not cutting anything up for profit (ie you are cutting up your own wood on your own land) getting 'qualifications' is a total waste of money.

Go for a 'training only' option on maintenance and crosscutting.

Spend the money you would have spent on NPTC assessments on PPE, nice new chains, a posh axe or something else useful.

Here is to the next 30 years. :beer:

Matt

Hi

No point ./ You know what you are doing its obvious . :001_smile:

Can you recommend a 'training only' course on maintenance and crosscutting at all

Preferably in the Leicester area

What 'normally' happens is that people do a training course (either lantra, or the training organisations own course) combined with a NPTC assessment latched on at the end.

Its about 2 to 3 days in total.

Speak to a local training provider, and explain that you only want the training bit, not the assessment - it's not that unusual a request.

If they are a bit thick, point out that you are just after 'refresher training' for maintenance and cross cutting.

It should be about 2 days, but maybe one. TBH, one day may be a bit of a push (depending on the ability of your fellow candidates to follow instructions and shut the f k up) - 2 days is probably better value.

If they try touting the benefits of the assessment, politely decline.

NPTC assessments costs seem to vary a lot, but it may cost approx in the region of:

£30 NPTC registration +

somewhere between £12 to £30 assessment fee +

whatever the assessors fee is +

a little something for the training company on top.

You don't need to spend any of this, so save your cash.

I have no idea of who is a good training provider in your area..... Over to the local knowledge for that!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

If it is just for your own use then you'd only need to achieve the Lantra Chainsaw Maintenance, Crosscutting and Felling to 200mm (depending on if you are felling anything larger). This Lantra certificate is excepted by insurance firms. The training including the felling is around 4 days and has an integrated exam (so no separate assessment like NPTC).

Go to the Lantra website and search for a local training centre. We charge £375 down here in Devon/Cornwall. You may also be able to do an experienced operator option in two days for less cost but you'll have to check with your local centre.

Hope that helps.

Slackbladder , if you know anyone local ( a mate ? ) who is very competent / experienced / qualified it could be worth your while asking them to observe you going about your tasks and point out what may or may not be wrong , and / or observe what they do , or work with them for a little while , a sort of informal assessment without any certificate ( as not required .)

Steve try parkhill training.

There good people training grounds and staff.

Also after our 3rd baby has arrived give me a shout and ill pop over with some saws, and go over what ever you need.

Ive also got the cs30 on file so can email that to you. ( urll just havento remind me bud ) 👍