Stihl 180 problem

Mark Bolam

My father in law bought a 180 to use for cutting a small amount of firewood at his place in France. Last year he said the saw had stopped and wouldn't start again.

Went down there last month and sure enough the saw will not start. It has had less than an hour's use! Filled it with new fuel mix, bought new plug (sparking well when tested) but will not fire at all.

Thing is, he hasn't got a clue about correct fuel mix, and could have been running it on 25-1 for all I know. Or diesel! He reckons it was cutting fine, stopped and that was it.

Has he clogged the carb or done some terminal damage? The saw is still in France (we flew). My skills don't extend further than basic field-stripping of saws - pistons and carbs etc. are are bit beyond me.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father in law bought a 180 to use for cutting a small amount of firewood at his place in France. Last year he said the saw had stopped and wouldn't start again.

Went down there last month and sure enough the saw will not start. It has had less than an hour's use! Filled it with new fuel mix, bought new plug (sparking well when tested) but will not fire at all.

Thing is, he hasn't got a clue about correct fuel mix, and could have been running it on 25-1 for all I know. Or diesel! He reckons it was cutting fine, stopped and that was it.

Has he clogged the carb or done some terminal damage? The saw is still in France (we flew). My skills don't extend further than basic field-stripping of saws - pistons and carbs etc. are are bit beyond me.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

He has'nt put chain oil in the fuel tank by mistake??

my father in law also has a 180 it spends more time on the bench being repaired than it does running,

if its got so few hours on it isnt it a warranty job? a few more details would be handy, mainly is the fuel getting to the spark plug after half a dozen pulls over on choke

What did the old spark plug look like ie black or grey or white?

Old plug looked fine, grey if anything.

Even he wouldn't have oiled the wrong end!

I wouldn't know a damaged piston if I saw one!

I know it's only a hobby saw, but 1 hours use!

Maybe I'll get him an 88 next birthday. With a 12" bar...

Hi mate,

I have a 180 and the thing is fantastic, for a 30cc saw I was amazed! It has run for ever with very little servicing, not sure whats going on with your one.

Do some checks, undo the two exhaust nuts and pull the exhaust of. Then pull the machine over and look at the piston as it travels up the bore. If you see any marks it may well be shot! Also check the screen on the front of the muffler is not blocked, this saw benefits from throwing that away and putting a few more/bigger holes in the muffler.

Is there fuel getting into the chamber? Pull the saw over on full choke and try to flood it, look at the plug to see if its wet.

Without more info, its hard to guess. But an hours use is crazy! :thumbdown:

Regards,

Paul.

• 7 months later...

As a rough and quick way to check he hasnt trashed the pot and piston will the saw hang under its own weight by holding the starter handle?

If it just falls to the floor without much jerking action(:blushing:) on the starter cord then it could be really low on compression and fooked.

If it seems ok and its sparking then probably a problem with carb but I would check fuel line for split and fuel filter for blockage(unlikely after an hour) first.