Working with Laburnum?

Baxter

Hi all

Forgive me if my questions sound a little novice, I'm new to the idea of milling and wood craft.

I have a laburnum stem that I cut about a month ago. I'd like to make some planks from it for some basic projects to get me started. One of my ideas is a simple tea light holder (literally a plank with a few 40mm holes cut)

So...When is best to mill it? Would it bend out of shape if I milled it and brought it inside for say a Christmas present? Would a protective lacquer of some sort be necessary?

(I haven't been able to find any of this info for laburnum on here.)

Thanks in advance

Nick

Hi I am no expert but if the wood is green/fresh cut and you bring it inside it will move and crack but not sure how much ,a lacquer may peel with the moisture from inside the wood ,I have had some success with putting small bits of wood in the microwave to dry it I did this with some coasters so depending on size you could try that

Cheers Mark

Laburnum is a very hard timber, and the heartwood is quite tolerant as far as splitting is concerned, although the sapwood (the lighter coloured bit) is very likely to split if brought into a centrally heated area so soon.

Your best bet would be to plank it and keep it to air dry and use for next years Christmas pressies.

I use a drying box, which is just a big box with a de-humidifier running 24/7 inside, and that brings Laburnum down to between 6 - 10% MC in about 4 months. :)

You can't mill and use the timber immediately regardless of what finish you put on it, even timber for garden furniture has to air dry for a while.

Unless you're using the timber for green woodwork, in which case you can but that would only be small pieces. I know a lot of spoon carvers and none of them will touch laburnum, when worked green it gives off an aroma that causes light headedness and head aches, when worked dry the sawdust can cause skin irritation and breathing problems.

Do be careful and wear masks and gloves.

Quote from Wiki

All parts of the plant are poisonous, and can be lethal if consumed in excess. Symptoms of laburnum poisoning may include intense sleepiness, vomiting, convulsive movements, coma, slight frothing at the mouth and unequally dilated pupils. In some cases, diarrhea is very severe, and at times the convulsions are markedly tetanic. The main toxin in the plant is cytisine, a nicotinic receptor agonist.

Thanks for posting about the toxins in cedar, our lad wore a mask and goggles and even still the next day his eyes were streaming! Think was cos of the dust it's very fine

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it think you may be confusing cedar and laburnum. Laburnum is a yellow flowering tree that has seed pods that look like pea pods and a far as I'm aware they are poisonous. Some kids think they look like a tasty snack.