Food aggressive dog?

Python

Anybody had any experience with a food aggressive dog? I've got a 20 month old saluki/ lurcher, I'm 5th owner, we've had her 4 months, she went for me on the first day regarding food and she was very swiftly put in her place and has been good as gold since but unfortunately my o/h is scared of her so when ever i leave the house and luna steals something my mrs ends up getting growled and snapped at, anyone got any suggestions? I love this dog to bits but o/h wants her gone if she carries on and it'll probably be a PTS job at this rate because she's got this issue that nobody wants to take on

I understand that hence why she's an angel when I'm about but she has zero respect for my o/h and Luna's a reasonably big dog and is pretty well matched against my oh, so how does my mrs reach the alpha high ground? I've seen luna when she's defending her diner and it's not pretty

It's the taking away food bit she has trouble with, I don't see it with me, but it's always with my partner because obviously she doesn't realise where her place is, to me this is a problem with my mrs not the dog? The dogs just being a dog at the end of the day and being a sight hound she's a particularly simple minded one, so if every time she stole something etc we replaced it with food wouldn't that then reward her to steal?

Aye, when's you give her food in her bowl, wait till she's ate a bit then take it away, sprinkle something nice like cheese on then put it back down. That should stop it being possessive.

The stealing bit sounds like a dominance issue. I like to pin my dogs to assert it over them. Harder for your partner if she's wary but there's other ways like going through doors first eating her dinner In front of the dog first.

Aye, when's you give her food in her bowl, wait till she's ate a bit then take it away, sprinkle something nice like cheese on then put it back down. That should stop it being possessive.

The stealing bit sounds like a dominance issue. I like to pin my dogs to assert it over them. Harder for your partner if she's wary but there's other ways like going through doors first eating her dinner In front of the dog first.

I fully agree with this. People think I am mad when I say things like going through doors first. Eating you food first and let the dog watch. never let a dog on your furniture but be able to turf the dog out of his/her bed and you stand in it. This will all put the dog in its place. A dog will either be dominated or it will dominate. If your misses can't get her place set before the dog is 2 years it will be almost impossible. Not sure if your misses can take this on board but if she doesn't she will always be lower placed than the dog. Good luck mate

Your wife needs to do everything for the dog. You need to take a back seat and not even look at the dog. Feeding is an excellent way. Take the opportunity to discipline the dog. Feed tiny amounts, make the dog sit and wait until you want it to eat. Let the dog eat, finish the tiny amount and pick up the bowl. Go through the routine again when you want it to eat not when it's excited.

The dog will associate your wife with food but it will be on her terms. She could try standing over the bowl before letting the dog eat.

Do not let this get into a battle. Your wife needs to win this or the kids could be next!