new mower advice!

northman

Just about to lay my hard earned down on a new mower and looking to spend between £450 - £550 I've looked at the masport 800 widecut and the ariens razor sp, I'm intending to use it semi professional but I'm not sure if those suggested are decent enough?

Just about to lay my hard earned down on a new mower and looking to spend between £450 - £550 I've looked at the masport 800 widecut and the ariens razor sp, I'm intending to use it semi professional but I'm not sure if those suggested are decent enough?

Cannot comment on the mowers you mentioned, but one thing I have learnt from the 21 inch toro I have just bought is that a mulch facility limits cutting and pickup of long grass. I knew it would to some extent but I was not prepared for just how rubbish it would be in heavy work. Might be ok if you use side eject, but I havent tried it. I do like the mulch though, no bag to empty but it means cutting every week. Probably not suitable for contract use as I expect you will get all the rough work.

Are you looking for a mower to do all three - collect discharge mulch

Or a dedicated mulch mower or a high performing collecting mower?

This could narrow down the options a lot!!!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Dedicated mulcher has a profiled deck to increase performance but there are a few multi purpose machines out there which are effective but I think a budget around £750 inc is realistic to get something worth buying with an alloy deck Husqvarna M53 is a good bit of kit mulching only front wheel drive! Easy to stop when you go over that stone brick dogs toy and the first thing you do is tip it back but fail to release wheel drive !!! Tip this back and drive wheel are off the ground

John Deere did a 3 in one with castors on the front this was just an MTD rebadged not really up to heavy work

Masports have had a lot of likes having a open back to the body help prevent blockages

Active is another previously branded Harry mowers

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Ideally a 3 in1 would be great, if the mulching performance is total rubbish though I may be tempted to get a dedicated mulcher instead. Are 3 in 1's generaly that bad then?

Mulcher on my toro is good. It is the pick up and coping with long grass I have a problem with.

For you info it is a 21inch super bagger alloy deck and honda engine. (which starts very easily by the way)