best biners for a zip line?

I have an opportunity to do some zip lining in a couple of weeks on a fair sized doug fir, its not a technique that I have used before so this tree in a safe position gives me the chance to try it in a safe environment.

Anyway, I was wondering what is the best type of carabiner for attaching the sling to the line? Should I use steel rigging biners or could wire gate types be used for speed?

Any other advice re; a zip line would be appreciated too:biggrin:

Thanks in advance

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a hitchclimber pulley as a cheaper alternative to a petzl tandem set up for a retrievable zip line. It will speed things up once your into the swing of things, use a line for the piece tied of to the dougie and a suitable anchor with some kind of tensioning system, and a second control return line with a pulley below your zip line tie off on the dougie to the hitchclimber pulley, depending on the size of limbs you can do 3 or 4 at a time.

Doing a simple free line is fine but i find if you have many limbs to remove something retrievable is easy quicker.

Thanks for that, makes more sense than buying a dozen biners and slings:001_rolleyes:

I was going to tie in the line using an alpine butterfly and choke the stem, so that I can slacken it off each time I move up to the next row of branches, does that sound correct, or should I use a sling around the stem?

I was going to tie in the line using an alpine butterfly and choke the stem, so that I can slacken it off each time I move up to the next row of branches, does that sound correct, or should I use a sling around the stem?

too much work. Anchor it at the top of the tree, then run it down and redirect it with a sling above the group of branches you are working on each time

Oh, and regarding retreival, its not always the quickest way. The only time I use a retrieval is if I am speedlining over a pond, river, of other obstacle which leaves the groundies with a long hike to return the karabiners each time.

any biner will pretty much do as long as you are working within their swl. If you are feeling plush though, buy a half dozen dmm revolver krabs :)

Hi there, If you've never done it before check out this attachment.

If you are going to use a simple speedline without a haulback/retrieval system, it as advisable to use steel crabs as alloy ones will melt from the friction/heat.

When it works it is a great labour saver, when it doesn't, it is a pain in the ass! Like anything the more you practice the better it'll be.

cheers.

speedline_variations_1.pdf

Id go for the carabiners mate :biggrin:

You need about 10, preferably steel twist locks, and a bunch of slings, which you could always make yourself out of a length of rope. If its a one off you could use the pulley and haulback line, but personally, for me its too slow. We zipline big firs every week, and having a bunch of biners and slings is by far the quickest way to get the tree down. You only need to have one guy at the other end also. Switch to pulleys if you rigging big logs, to avoid scorching the line.

The video shows a make shift ground anchor....just a bunch of logs choked together with a big hook to tie off the line.

Use HD setting

I was just about to say check out Reg Coates "Thunderstruck" speedline video on Youtube and bugger me the man himself suggested it. Its the best speedline video I've seen because of the view, simplicity and cracking tune.

thanks RCO

Oh, and regarding retreival, its not always the quickest way. The only time I use a retrieval is if I am speedlining over a pond, river, of other obstacle which leaves the groundies with a long hike to return the karabiners each time.

any biner will pretty much do as long as you are working within their swl. If you are feeling plush though, buy a half dozen dmm revolver krabs :)

That crossed my mind :laugh1: but I have been spending too much on kit, this is how I feel and not how my wife makes me feel, honest!

Mr. Coates himself! tree working royalty:blushing:, I have just brought one of your arb trolleys from one of the members on here, and love it!

Id go for the carabiners mate :biggrin:

You need about 10, preferably steel twist locks, and a bunch of slings, which you could always make yourself out of a length of rope. If its a one off you could use the pulley and haulback line, but personally, for me its too slow. We zipline big firs every week, and having a bunch of biners and slings is by far the quickest way to get the tree down. You only need to have one guy at the other end also. Switch to pulleys if you rigging big logs, to avoid scorching the line.

The video shows a make shift ground anchor....just a bunch of logs choked together with a big hook to tie off the line.

Use HD setting

Is your groundie pulling the line taught? I can't quite see.