The Use Of Thread Lock !!

WeFixIt

Having read a a thread about the use of thread lock, in this case it was the feedrollers on a Timberwolf chipper.

Should the 3 allen capped head bolts which retain the drive motor spline coupling to the feed roller body should or shouldn't have thread lock applied ?

Well it maybe down to personal preference which you may choose (to use or not to use) but all the facts need to disclosed!

1st dont use- the bolts may come loose and need further attention, they may come loose shear off, damage the threaded holes there screwed into!!

2nd use - slap it on these baby's are never wriggling loose! - come next time dismantling takes place the allen socket head just round off, bolts shear off, you can't get them out!! and the cursing starts!!

3rd use with thought!! - This is what the thread was missing no one said it with thought and a little hind sight !! so I thought I would..

First clean threads with wire wheel/wire brush, apply enough thread lock to cover 2 threads 10mm up the thread, this will lock the thread but only a few threads which is all that is needed and as it is not the full length of the threads which are in contact it is easy to brake the bonded seal and remove the bolt. Many don't realise it's only the last 2-3 threads being screwed in which need thread lock not all of them.

The only way to release excessive thread lock use is heat, which is in many cases not to much a problem but in this case the spline drive coupling sits inside a nylon ring bush which really doesn't like the heat much !

I know this has been so what of a rant but life is made easier for all if only tread lock is used correctly and the correct grade is used

My Engcon system coming from Sweden is covered with these locking washers and I must say I agree they're brilliant.

Never thought of purchasing them for my chipper which uses something similar, but I'll price some up now, thanks.

Eddie.

I asked this question about the lower feed rollers, I have now slapped them in with high strength thread lock, I've had the bolts sheer three times and always when I've got a huge amount of chipping to do, one time a bolt head made a horrible mess of the feed roller plate.

I've been fixing machinery for over 25 years and using thread lock correctly I've never had to my knowledge had something come loose where it's been used and I have yet to fail to remove anything I put thread lock on!

Hence my rant, like many things in life there's a right way and a wrong way!!

I hope you don't need to remove them there bolts to soon!

If/when you do - and the cup heads round off , run a drill down them to remove the heads, remove the feed roller, heat the remaining threads up (blowtorch will be hot enough) and wind them out with some good quality grips.

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

I've been fixing machinery for over 25 years and using thread lock correctly I've never had to my knowledge had something come

Hence my rant, like many things in life there's a right way and a wrong way!!

There's a darn good reason to use a graphite based bolt lubricant rather than thread lock my good man.

Like say when bolting a set of chipper knives to a big hollow mandrel drum.

But what would Vermeer or Morbark engineers know about such things?

But you are right, sorta.

What was the recd torque on those bolts? 165 lbs?

Lean into it lad!

Jomoco:001_smile: