Tennis Elbow/RSI

keywee

Anyone have any advice.

Ive had problems with both elbows over the years but my right one now is giving me full time grief, im right handed as well.

Im getting steroid/cortisone injections this week for pain relief but can't seem to find ny really solid exercises or info on how to actually fix it properly. currently wear a elbow band on the tendons to help with relief while working but its just getting worse. No chance to rest it either.

Any suggestions or links to anything would be greatly appreciated.

Plenty of info on web, this provides good explanation of anatomy, causes of pain & potential solutions http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00068

In my experience rest & avoidance of the repetitive movements that contribute to pain are key. I'm right handed & also had similar problems in the past. Good tip that proved effective for me was to sleep with elbow joint straight (wrap a towel or similar round your elbow & secure with safety pin or velcro strap) this relieves pressure on tendons & rests the joint while you sleep. Don't expect instant results but if you're lucky, pain should gradually reduce over 1 - 2 weeks.

Try & identify causal activities & adapt to minimise elbow bend & loading on joint. If you're a climber conventional body thrust with prussik is particularly bad, as is one handed chainsaw use. Using foot ascender as much as possible when climbing & hitch climber vt or similar can help. I'm sure others will be along with their experiences as it's a common problem in our industry.

I used to get it badly. Then I changed from a Prussik to a Lockjack with friction saver.

The tennis elbow cleared up within a week.

After eight years it started to come back but I happened to change to an SRWP system and the elbow cleared up but more significantly, so did my back problems.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

I'm only 20 and I get it in my right arm, it's unproven but theirs a method that just breaks up the calcification of the tendons, basically involves sticking your thumb as deep into the joint as you can where it hurts and moving it in little circles, it worked really well for me don't get me wrong it almost brings you to tears but it clear up after a week, it does still twinge in the mornings though

Thanks for the advice guys. I climbing friction less as possible, zz, pantin etc.. I think it could be mostly from using climbing saws and large saws up the tree. No chance of stopping or even resting at this stage. will take on board the advice you guys have given.

I used to get it pretty bad. Since getting into srt it has all but disappeared with the occasional twinge after a big week. Use ascenders as much as possible, grippy gloves help when climbing, carry stuff on your shoulder, sack truck, wheel barrows, arb trolly ,anything to take the stress of your arms and onto larger muscle groups.

I had it for over a year and couldn't shake it.

Good advice already been offered by others. For me I changed from friction hitch to spiderjack +ropeguide, which naturally changed my climbing technique.

I had the steroid injection which I have to say worked brilliantly, relieved the pain pretty much instantly. I also undertook a course of acupuncture, which also provided excellent results.

I think the best advice is just to make a few subtle changes to the way you work.

Hi. I discovered this stuff by accident years ago, a lot less invasive than steroids etc, Arnica gel by a company called IV Horse, worked for my tennis elbow and still does when I get a twinge , check it out online......I know....I`m not a horse either....worth a try !!

Dr. Julian Saunders :: Dodgy Elbows

Give this a read, and try appropriate exercises. Worked for me years ago while full time climbing, and trying to train a lot for rock climbing at the same time (bad idea). PDF has been sent round loads of mates, and has helped all of them, especially the eccentric wrist curls. Give them time as it feels as if you are doing almost nothing to start with, form is key. My elbows still play up occasionally and it just takes a bit of time back on the eccentric curls and they quieten right down. Good luck