Walnut value

Boaty

Howdo, removed a walnut today and iv heard that the timber can be very usefull/sort after, got some pics and was wondering how much roughly the timber would be worth? I know obviously can't get an exact price from pics but some idea would be good. Either value as a single lump or valued at through and through milled. Put 201 next to it for size comparison. Cheers

image.jpg.24d60deeecbc18643458890c5e15ce78.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another photo of the end of the log to see what the ratio of sapwood to heartwood is needed. The more heartwood there is the more the log is worth. Hard to tell from your photo.

Mike

agreed, extra photo needed.

looks like 2-3" of sap but a good coloured heartwood in there but in my opinion walnut is always worth milling...

if milled and dried then your looking at £80ft3 not sure what the butt is worth though, rough guess £100 but possibly less as i can see cut marks in it.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=woolton+hill&ie=UTF-8&ei=rnZNU5cTie06n92AmAI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

as a wood turner i'd be happy with the sap on if it has a good dark heart as you can see in the pics of what i've done for delabodge on the link above.

don't firewood it let a turner use it if no one wishes to mill it.

who started cutting in half???

my tip too you is "dont cut it so short" and dont put chainsaw cuts in it either, both these things make life a little harder, but understand its not always easy to move large butts from a garden, the guy who buys this has too mill it, season it and then sell it,or like me use it, , strike a deal with someone and ask for a few planks in exchange for it, I`d personelly give you £50 ,at a push, as my time getting to you, and petrol etc, it would help people to know your whereabouts...

Sorry chaps didn't realise the other pictures hadn't gone on. Also should've said it's already gone the boss just wanted rid off it, sorry for wasting your time just wanted to prove to the bosses that it's worth a bit more than firewood prices. I think the cut was about an inch deep and was actually put in by the homeowner before he realised he couldn't do the tree himself.

image.jpg.1ff1dcd14c58c55c02a76299c262f822.jpg