Do we need 35 hours Driver CPC by september???

benedmonds

Can anyone confirm the following. We drive a 6 tonner (so a LGV) on a pre97 licences.

All LGV / HGV / PCV drivers are required by law to complete 35 hours JAUPT approved training every 5 years.

This has to be completed by the deadline of September 2014 (LGV / HGV)

Once drivers of (LGV /PCV) have completed their 35 hours of CPC periodic training they will be issued with a Driver Qualification Card (DQC).

It is unlawful to drive professionally anywhere in the European Union without a DQC. (Existing drivers can use their current vocational driving licence as proof of their Driver CPC, however this will only apply until 9th September 2014 (LGV / HGV) and 2013 for PCV.

If you haven’t completed your 35 hours of CPC Periodic Training by September 2014? You will no longer have legal entitlement to drive an LGV commercially.

It will be an offence under the Vehicle Licencing Law to drive a vocational vehicle without holding a DQC, or to cause or permit a driver to so do.

The driver will also commit an offence if asked to produce their (DQC) card at a police or VOSA roadside check point.

The penalties are for non-compliant are:

Driving without a DQC: £1000 fine

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and No.

It entirely depends on the nature of the driving, is it merely to get staff to a site, work on the site, then ret to base or home.

If so no CPC needed.

Our grounds staff do not need it, driving up to a 7.5 tonner, neither do the refuse collector drivers.

(Unless they are collecting paid for Trade Waste, in which case they then DO!)

I understand distance from base or overnighting away from base may also factor in.

But this did not concern us.

M

Dammn but i type toooo slow!

Thanks for that! I had heard a rumour from some one. Had thought it would have come up here if it was an issue.

Found the relevant exemption:

https://www.gov.uk/driver-certificate-of-professional-competence-cpc/when-you-dont-need-driver-cpc

Vehicle uses where you don’t need Driver CPC

You don’t need Driver CPC if the vehicle you drive is:

used to carry material or equipment you use for your job - but driving the vehicle can’t be the main part of your job

As with most new legislations, the explanations are usually clear as mud.

As I understand it... If your job is delivery, you need the CPC, if driving is just a part of your job (Not main part) then you don't. So, delivering logs as a living will require a CPC. But, if it's your groundie delivering logs, he wont...

As I understand it... If your job is delivery, you need the CPC, if driving is just a part of your job (Not main part) then you don't. So, delivering logs as a living will require a CPC. But, if it's your groundie delivering logs, he wont...

I disagree because delivering logs is not transporting materials or equipment that is used directly for your work.

I don't think this is quite right.. Your groundie delivering logs in his LGV would need CPC.

Driver E

Driver E is a farmer. On an average of once a month, they transport some of their livestock to a local cattle market for auction. They need to have Driver CPC when doing this, as they’re not carrying materials or equipment for their use in the course of their work –they’re carrying cattle intended for sale.