Legs protection - chaps

Pierre_robbo

Looking for some chainsaw chaps, can anyone recommend a mid priced pair.

Only sawing 12 days a year, no climbing just general cutting/light felling.

Any recommendations?

Husqvarna used to make chaps that zipped up the back ( years ago ) . Why not get a good quality pair of front protection only strides and be done with it ? Husky , Phanner , etc etc

I had a pair of Stihl chaps, ugh!

I still have the green bib and brace type with mesh in the back and orange braces (no elastic left type). I'm not sure if these are still available. I just have to remember that the mesh is absolutely no protection at all when backing into brambles:laugh1:

codlasher

Screwfix have some Jonsered type A trousers for £50, not a bad price.

Not a bad trouser either - they are the old ProLight's (what became the first generation Husky Functional). I've had 3 or 4 pairs in the past and really liked them. The only thing I found was the backs were quite easily ripped, but they were really airy (in the days before zipped vents).

I didn't realise there were any new pairs still left in circulation - might have to be having another pair meself :thumbup1:

I use chaps - have got 15yrs out of the current pair and the zip has now gone but the protection is still intact.

Their big advantage is if you are working on the same site all day, but only using a chainsaw for a very small proportion of the work. You can put them on for 10mins, then take them off. Try that with trousers and it's probably frowned upon! They are also OK when kneeling on the ground all the way down a log for milling, or for other static jobs like standing at a sawhorse.

Haven't decided whether to get a new set or a new zip and sew it in.

I prefer the sort which are waist-height and just use a separate belt (army type with a clip so it's quick to take on and off and always the right length). Mine are Stihl, which I think are still available.

Alec