Forestry buildings in woodland

I'm looking to put a small building up in my woodland only 6 acres to store firewood/ saw logs in either timber (pole barn) or steel frame (rsj). Just wondering what types of buildings others have, as I'm not sure I would be allowed steel framed due to planning.

Anyone any answers

cheers

I have a steel frame rsj building in the wood; perfectly flat smooth concrete floor too which increases productivity in so many ways. I have found a way to build log pens between the rsj's with 12 and 13' long 2x6 and pallets in between. Reckon on RSJs being expensive tho...

Photos taken before I moved in.

28092011753.jpg.5fc0a61d20bf0133fa6c889a55d022a8.jpg

28092011752.jpg.ab1d5a49185a23ede9cde26ac8f92649.jpg

This is covered by permitted development:

Woodland Planning Legislation

Wodland Planning System

You do not need planning permission but need to complete a '28 day prior notification'

They key is the building must be for 'forestry' purposes. If you are actively managing your 6 acres then this should not be a problem. Bringing in wood from other sites is another matter. Also converting wood to a product like planks / fence posts can be a problem so avoid mentioning that.

I would say it was for storing tools and equipment rather than stacking wood.

(What you use it for once it is up is another matter!)

The type of building pole barn / steel barn should not be an issue. The council are more worried about it being converted into a house so anything that is purely functional should tick the box.

Thats ok i'm just looking to erect a plain open sided building approx 30 meter by 20 meter to season logs and store machinery. Still worried about them coming back within the 28 days though!

Thanks for the replies

I use industrial pallet racking to form the shell of the building then just clad with tin sheets. Just put rawl plug bolts direct into a concrete slab and everything else just slots together. Frame goes up in a matter of hours and tall enough to have a mezzanine floor in which I store my hay bales on out of the way of vermin.

Just looking to manage the woodland and store my tractors, saw bench, splitters, logs etc. The building I'm looking to erect is not much bigger than 'timbercutterdartmoor's' building. Personally I cant see too much of an issue with the size of the building i'm looking at putting up and it will be in keeping with the wood, however what I think and what the planners think maybe too different things.

Cheers

from what i've read previously they would think that was far to big for a 6 acre site.

ive not read about it for a long time so cant remember the figures but the largest i saw was a fair bit smaller than that and for a woodland nearer a 100 acres.