Honda mower clutch

Tintin

Firstly I would like to thank Spudulike for your wise advice with chainsaws that you share with all on the forum, it is both interesting and informative.

This is a slight derail and because of its content.

Can you help with this off topic request, We have a Honda rotary mower HR194 and the clutch is stuck i.e continually engaged and will only run as a direct drive (it rotates with the crank) I had it apart and could not find a problem. I guess something with a fine tolerance is worn, but I don't know what.

Best regards

Tintin

OK. The clutch drive mechanism is engaged via the lever on the gearbox that the cable attaches to. The drive pulleys on the crank and on the gearbox are always in constant rotation so that would be correct.

Disconnect the cable from the gearbox and then see if the drive disengages- if it does, then it's possible the internal cable has seized either due to lack of use or fraying. If it's the cable then simply replace it.

If the gearbox drive is still engaged once the cable has been removed then manually move the engagement lever on the gearbox. These can seize or even get twigs and debris caught in them which prevents the lever disengaging when the cable tension is released.

If the cable is fine and the drive lever seems fine, then it's an internal problem with the gearbox. The gearbox is a sealed unit and therefore internal components are unavailable. Only replace as a unit, but on an HR194 which is a very old model the cost (if still available) would be extortionate.

Firstly I would like to thank Spudulike for your wise advice with chainsaws that you share with all on the forum, it is both interesting and informative.

This is a slight derail and because of its content.

Can you help with this off topic request, We have a Honda rotary mower HR194 and the clutch is stuck i.e continually engaged and will only run as a direct drive (it rotates with the crank) I had it apart and could not find a problem. I guess something with a fine tolerance is worn, but I don't know what.

Best regards

Tintin

Thanks for the good rep - only ever had one of these apart, this had the opposite problem, the gewarbox couldn't be engaged - turned out to be the actuation lever had sheared off where it clamps on to the gearbox shaft - think Pleasant is about right, seized up cable or damaged gearbox.

The guy I fixed the mower for said it nearly yanked his arms out of their sockets - did a bit of work on the carb as well:thumbup:

I might be on the wrong track here, and if so I apologise for derailing. I wonder if Tintin is meaning the BBC ( blade brake clutch) rather than the trans clutch, causing the blade to be rotating all the time the engine is turning.

These are far more likely to sieze, I have never seen a trans clutch stick on on a 194, but there is always a first time.

If its the BBC it will mean that the clutch is remaining engaged all the time and the brake is not being engaged.

Could be... Siezed, or out of adjustment cable, ... Worn or broken actuator arm,.... Friction pads on actuator worn or missing,....clutch pads rusted together,.....blade carrier centre bearing siezed.

If it is the trans clutch, then it is repairable but may not be worth it, the bits are not cheap as the others have said, but the gearboxes are not sealed and all parts are available. Most likely place for trouble would be the selector fork shaft siezed in the bushes.

There are 2 trans gearboxes, one type for the 4 wheel variant and one for the rear roller. Both are shaft driven from the engine, so no pullies or belts involved.

• 10 years later...

Hi gardenkit I know this is an old post 

I have just changed out the bottom bearing and clutch drive on my hrx537 ,, 

bottom bearing was squealing and machine stopped cutting ,,,, 

now that I have changed these parts and built back up my bbc won’t operate ,, 

blade continues to turn regardless ,, 

Question is ,, 

should there be 3 friction pads on the actuator ?? 
I’m thinking this may be my problem as they look very smooth ,, 

many help would be appreciated 

Thanks very much for your help ,,

I think I may have sussed the problem , 

I have no bearing press and I’m thinking I may not have the lower bearing fully seated therefore when tightening bottom bolt I may be engaging new clutch drive plate on the system ,, it may only have 1 or 2mm to go but this will let the cast housing sit clear of the part that’s seated in the key way when blade brake applied 

I think at the moment when bbc is applied the inner clutch drives (new bottom one and the one on the shaft ) are still engaged therefore spring / pressure plate can’t do it’s job  

I will post if this has been my mistake 

thanks for the brain food 

Thanks very much for your help ,,

I think I may have sussed the problem , 

I have no bearing press and I’m thinking I may not have the lower bearing fully seated therefore when tightening bottom bolt I may be engaging new clutch drive plate on the system ,, it may only have 1 or 2mm to go but this will let the cast housing sit clear of the part that’s seated in the key way when blade brake applied 

I think at the moment when bbc is applied the inner clutch drives (new bottom one and the one on the shaft ) are still engaged therefore spring / pressure plate can’t do it’s job  

I will post if this has been my mistake 

thanks for the brain food 

Ok ,,

bearing removed and properly pressed in and I still have the same issue,, bbc not working blade running constantly,,, 

I put the old clutch back in and hey presto we are back in business,, however the old clutch is pretty worn and more on one side than the other ,, blade spins 3 or 4 times before stopping ,,, onto heavy grass with it today and it cut as it should ,,, 

however I need to get to the route of the problem as this old one won’t last to long and I would rather get it fixed properly,,, 

mild clutch and bearing have probably cut around 7500 to 7800 medium sized gardens I would say it has done it’s job and owes me nothing ,,, 

anyone any idea what to try next 

I have adjusted cable 

Fitted new bearing and clutch spring to no avail,,, 

heads nipping to say the least 

help lol going insane with this 

4 hours ago, DJK said:

Ok ,,

bearing removed and properly pressed in and I still have the same issue,, bbc not working blade running constantly,,, 

I put the old clutch back in and hey presto we are back in business,, however the old clutch is pretty worn and more on one side than the other ,, blade spins 3 or 4 times before stopping ,,, onto heavy grass with it today and it cut as it should ,,, 

however I need to get to the route of the problem as this old one won’t last to long and I would rather get it fixed properly,,, 

mild clutch and bearing have probably cut around 7500 to 7800 medium sized gardens I would say it has done it’s job and owes me nothing ,,, 

anyone any idea what to try next 

I have adjusted cable 

Fitted new bearing and clutch spring to no avail,,, 

heads nipping to say the least 

help lol going insane with this 

Take it to. Honda dealer let them fix it. Will cost a few quid but stop you going mad……