Trailer size and weight .

Mortimer Firewood

Ive been offered a lot of timber from a local farm and they want to drop it off in a 12t grain trailer they reckon they will get 10t of oak if they stack it in neat so does any body have an idea on this thanks

Mike:001_smile:

they would if its oak .... [green] i filled our 14 tonner to brim and beyond last week with fresh beech butts and lookin at the tyres and sprung draw bar and way it towed there was far more than 14 ton on it...

Sounds a little optimistic to me at least.

I presume it will be as limbs although you don't say so? unless it is very straight and cut to lenght you will have considerable broken stowage and be lucky to fill 50% of the trailer with wood.

If you are buyin by weight put the first load over a weighbridge, if by volume measure the stack.

Cheers

mac

Sounds a little optimistic to me at least.

I presume it will be as limbs although you don't say so? unless it is very straight and cut to lenght you will have considerable broken stowage and be lucky to fill 50% of the trailer with wood.

If you are buyin by weight put the first load over a weighbridge, if by volume measure the stack.

Cheers

mac

When measuring the stack how much do you allow for air its all oak ash syc some out of fields some out of plantations. When buying in timber i usually buy it standing and can work it out but when its in a stack i become a little confused. I think your right about the weighbridge its a bit of a trek in a tractor but at least its fair to everybody.

Thanks to you both for replying :001_smile:

When measuring the stack how much do you allow for air its all oak ash syc some out of fields some out of plantations. When buying in timber i usually buy it standing and can work it out but when its in a stack i become a little confused. I think your right about the weighbridge its a bit of a trek in a tractor but at least its fair to everybody.

Thanks to you both for replying :001_smile:

I think there is guidance on this in the "Forest Mensuration" handbook but I am offshore at the moment - maybe someone else can help. It really can vary a lot depending on how twisty the timber is and how neatly it is stacked.

The trailer in the avatar can go over a weighbridge with as little as 4t poorly stowed or as much as 6t neatly built - all cut to the same length and out of the same stack.

Cheers

mac

only thing to do id do what we do when we take a trailer on a job and were concerned it wont all go on.... drop a few grab fulls in then get in trailer with saw and start cutting it up, throwing bits in gaps, corners etc... done this in our 30 yard bin before and tractor wouldnt pull it on without help of machine that was on site whereas it will pull a 40 yard bin on when its just layed in there with a machine with ease..

I would allow 45% for air space as been said I would expect about 6.5 tonnes in there and thats because its oak. Dont buy too much oak I dont think its great in small wood burners and you dont sell by weight so you dont get much volume out of your 6.5 tonne. Ash and beech more popular. Part seasoned beech bought by weight would be a good deal :thumbup1:

We agreed 150£ a trailer load which is not as sweet a deal as i thought it was

but they are bringing it 4 miles Ive got on to the local potato farn and we can use there way bridge at least ill know for next time.

And on the point of oak we keep our oak for two years the first outside and the second in the poly tunnel and its chopped small mixed in well no complaints yet and we have got through a lot of it .:001_smile: