Finding underground services when dismantling big trees ??

hazzygawa

I have a job at the beginning of next month. It is to dismantle a large/Tall pine on a small front lawn. I know there is underground services that are under there :@

I know how to check for electricity telecoms etc but how do you check for water pipes as there is some pretty large stuff to come down. I have strung Tyres together for a ground matt and am taking safety measures when lowering. But I need to find it all under the grass.

Anyone ?

Most water/gas pipes should be buried about 300mm deep but iv found water pipes on top on the ground before :thumbdown: I know with my house most of the underground severs are in one trench. You can hire a Cat (Cable Avoiding Tool) And Genny Cable Detectors which finds most underground services but they can cost a bit to hire.

Look for the stop tap in the pavement and then the entry point in the house. That'll give you a rough guide. Water services should be deep enough to avoid freezing. Doesn't the client want to keep the lawn as you're smashing big lumps into it?:001_smile:

CAT and GENNY used one today to trace 11kv line to 415v transformer for a hotel and fishery complex. For this size of under ground cable it didnt go in a straight line!! lucky we checked(would of been an expensive job)

CAT and Genny also called cable avoidance tool for hire at most HSS/ dommindo hire type companys. try www. radiodetection in a serch engine

Hope this helps

Friday afternoon and Monday morning clubs make the 300mm deep rule obsolete imo. If you are lowering and using matts everything should be ok, i have worked on sites where everything has been checked with all the gadgets and yet things have still been hit, but this is when doing roots and stumps, never dropping timber

Water diviners, you can use a couple of welding rods bent in "L" shapes, ideally putting the small part of the "L" in to a small length of hosepipe in each hand and hold them out in front of you as you walk over the water pipe the welding rods will cross one another, used to use this method when working for the local water company, works well. my other half says its based on magnetism, of the water as it runs, you have to have a flow, (turn your mains tap on a bit) however small, and the rods have to be magnetic like iron,

there is a nerve in your ankle that detects an electric current from water running underground, it makes your thumbs twitch if you hold them at a certain angle, stick 2 rods in there and hey presto, magic!!!!:thumbup:

Thats why i said put the welding rods in a piece of hosepipe has not to be touching the actuall rods. Works every time.