Worth sharpening chipper blades 'as a job'?

WoodenHead

I've got an interest in a small engineering company and we're always looking for other strings to our bow.

We like arb / ag orientated things too. Any money in regrinding chipper blades?

Surface grinding too slow so what about buying a Saturn machine and advertising our services. Do you think we'd turn our money over? :hmmmm:

Would appreciate any views......

I've got an interest in a small engineering company and we're always looking for other strings to our bow.

We like arb / ag orientated things too. Any money in regrinding chipper blades?

Surface grinding too slow so what about buying a Saturn machine and advertising our services. Do you think we'd turn our money over? :hmmmm:

Would appreciate any views......

most of us have our blades sharpened

but obviously have somewhere that does them.

I have mine done local as just easier than posting off

so depend on who does them around you and whether your aiming to get a way to attract mail order

Mine cost £3 each to sharpen and there is a £1 collection charge for each pick up /drop off regardless of number of blades. so I wait till I have 3 pairs that need doing and then that costs me £20.00. I think it would be hard for anyone to compete with that, but then again my actual local stihl/timberwolf dealer charges £20 a pair!!

That's the problem....A set will take over an hour, more if they're bad, as we tickle the wear off a few 'thou at a time as we can't wreck the grinder as the next job may be form grinding something quite fussy.

Watching the Saturn style machines that run a cup wheel - it then only seems a few minutes work. At present it's for mates at mates rates so would have to get geared up.

We could bring knowledge to the process :biggrin:

Thanks for the responses

Mine cost £3 each to sharpen and there is a £1 collection charge for each pick up /drop off regardless of number of blades. so I wait till I have 3 pairs that need doing and then that costs me £20.00.

Now that is a bargain.:thumbup1:

Surprised they can make a profit out of that!

Blimey. I usually only take half a thou at a time (not chipper blades).

Never seen a set of chipper blades that need sharpening. How bad do they get? How much needs to come off? I'd have thought maybe 15 thou if they're just dull but if they have chunks out then I suppose they might need as much as 50 off!

That *would* take ages...

Blimey. I usually only take half a thou at a time (not chipper blades).

Never seen a set of chipper blades that need sharpening. How bad do they get? How much needs to come off? I'd have thought maybe 15 thou if they're just dull but if they have chunks out then I suppose they might need as much as 50 off!

That *would* take ages...

Depends on how many gravel drives you work on.... They can get really bad, usually they will have a few small chunks out though.