doh! did it again today,help!

THE88MAN

busy time of year again(well,on conifers at least),tipping the ifor williams sometimes 3 times a day,trouble is i nearly always forget to put her on charge when i need to,thus resulting in very slow hand cranking or asking customer 'can i plug my trailer into your mains please?':blushing: have been told you can rig her up to charge off the truck,does anyone know what i need to do this or have done it themselves and whats involved? cheers,steve

you need a split charge unit like a caravan user would have to charge the caravan battery via the vehicle alternator, you normally see a second 7 pin socket with a white cap & different pin points so you cannot put a trailer light socket in it.

a split charge unit can be nothing more than a relay with a diode which stops the vehicle battery being flattened wile charging the trailer battery.

thats what my bodging brother in law told me.i have a second 7 pin socket but thats where it goes over my (non-electrical) head.if left plugged in will it fry my trailer battery or will it work in conjunction with the truck's alternator?

thats what my bodging brother in law told me.i have a second 7 pin socket but thats where it goes over my (non-electrical) head.if left plugged in will it fry my trailer battery or will it work in conjunction with the truck's alternator?

you wont damage your battery leaving it plugged in

other way you could tip your trailer if getting flat battery is to fit a 12v power suply to back of truck then carry a short lead which you can plug to the trailer then using the truck battery to tip . split charge relay kit is easy to fit though you can but them from most car discount parts shops with all fittng instructions

it will it work in conjunction with the truck's alternator, so power wont drain from the charged vehicle battery to the flat trailer battery when the vehicle is off but power will go from the alternator to one or both the battery’s when needed when the vehicle is running & the alternator will cut-out in the normal way it dose once both battery’s are at the right voltage.

Just to be different I run 2 very heavy cables from the battery to a three phase type socket on the back of the landy, the plug goes on the trailer. I tried proper connectors but they always corrode, the three phase socket seems really weatherproof and has lasted for a few years now. I use heavy cable because my original setup used to blow fuses, cos f yu did'nt unplug it before tipping it would seek power from the main battery and blow the fuse, so now i use very heavy cable and no fuse; another reason to use a god quality socket.

thanks for the input guys,think i,m getting the drift,i know it will be alot less hassle when its sorted thats for sure.surprised ifor williams don't do a kit to be honest,but then again they aint had electricity in wales that long i suppose! many thanks

thanks for the input guys,think i,m getting the drift,i know it will be alot less hassle when its sorted thats for sure.surprised ifor williams don't do a kit to be honest,but then again they aint had electricity in wales that long i suppose! many thanks

just been looking in a MAPLIN catalogue you could get a solar panel battery charger .dont know how good they are . then fix it to the trailer , battery then charging while loading:001_smile:

I favour the HGV method of powering 12/24 volt hydraulic packs. Run a + & - battery cable to the rear of the vehicle to a "Anderson" socket making sure the Positive goes via a master kill switch and a Mega fuse. (thats the name Mega Fuse not just slang!) Then take the battery off your trailer and put a set of longer cables from tipping power pack to meet up with socket on back of vehicle.

We've done this and with the appropriate glands and dust covers for when the sockets are not in use we have had years of good service. A lot of the Large plant companys use the same system for running the powerpack for the electric powerpack for ramps on low loaders.

Of course when I can afford my own tipper I'll have no power pack and just tip it off PTO Hydraulics on the Ol Landy!:001_smile::001_smile: