Strimmer line woes

spandit

I have a Mountfield flexible shaft strimmer and unlike sandspider, it starts and runs fine. I got really frustrated with the crappy bump head so on recommendation here, I bought an Oregon Jet-Fit. The problem I now have is that the line snaps after about 20 seconds of use - I'm trying to trim a mixture of brambles, rushes and grass. The line I'm using is 2mm nylon (the packet says "Quality Professional" so it must be good stuff :D). It's also snapped flush with the head and I can't extract it to fit any more. Any clues here?

Is 2mm line not up to the job? The head says it will take up to 2.4mm so would that be worth a try or should I be investing in something that can take a blade?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are 2 problems here . One the line is obviously pants but the main thing is it probably rotates the wrong way . A fixed shaft has a gear box on the end so rotates opposite to a curved shaft . This will make the line press against the sharper corner rather than the flowed bend .

It was labelled as for a bent shaft strimmer:

[ame=https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GGFA8SM/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item]Oregon Jet-Fit 552697 30 CC Universal Easy-Load Trimmer Head for Bent Shaft with Red Round Line: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

but I will have a look and see which way it rotates. Is it worth shelling out for expensive trimmer line or is there a cheaper alternative?

Well I use " Diamond Edge " 4mmm square made by Desert Extrusions but you need 45cc or more to drive it .

To extract the line it should move in the same direction as when you fitted it so you should leave a tail out the back so you can grab it with pliers and just pull it strait out . 2mm is no good for what you want to clatter down and probably the strimmer is not up to it either .

Edited by Stubby

Absolutely no use to your original question, but I've had one of those days too!

Hour and a half to re-install a printer this morning, sat-nav had a senior moment and sent me well out of my way (twice!), car refused to start for twenty minutes right outside a clients house on a quote visit, a much-needed parcel didn't arrive (again), the office stopped because (apparently) no-one knows how to put paper in the printer except me, a clients consultant thinks it's acceptable to state re-pollard one tree within a group of five - without saying which one - the client wants a price today, planning department has one member of staff answering the phone......

and I should have gone home an hr and a quarter ago...........

So good luck with your strimmer:biggrin:

Glad to help you vent!

.Found out the head does come apart just by pulling and inside is just 2 fencing Gripples (branded as such). Resorted to using my Stihl brush slasher hand tool thing to clear some brambles for my hammock where I'll be sleeping tonight