Lancruiser Temperature Gauge Rising

Lillywhite Timber

Have to say ive usually got top class advice every time ive posted on here .So here goes I have a 01 Landcruiser D4D , 163 K miles ,driving well, pulling well (see overloaded thread :thumbup:) except for eye watering diesel consumption .Of late it seems to have the most unusual problem .

At certain times nearly always at 55-60 mph in motorway driving the temp gauge starts to climb , I haven't let it get near the red and bring the gauge down by turning on the heater full blast inside .

It never rises in traffic and the presence of the trailer no matter how heavily laden doesent seem to make any difference .

Ive changed the thermostat and flushed the radiator but to no avail.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I don't think its the head gasket and as many D4D cruisers as there are around ive never heard of them giving head trouble .

Any ideas ?

I am very interested in this thread as I've had a similar issue with an isuzu engine.

Garage reckoned that jap water pump housings are notorious for sucking in air on the negative side of the pump casing.

Pump was changed at same time as cambelt 2000 miles previously, so the whole pump was changed for a second time. No difference.

Does the system over pressurise after said higher speed run? Volcanic explosion from header when releasing cap. Very thick rag obviously...!

I am very interested in this thread as I've had a similar issue with an isuzu engine.

Garage reckoned that jap water pump housings are notorious for sucking in air on the negative side of the pump casing.

Pump was changed at same time as cambelt 2000 miles previously, so the whole pump was changed for a second time. No difference.

Does the system over pressurise after said higher speed run? Volcanic explosion from header when releasing cap. Very thick rag obviously...!

Is this not a very bad idea?:001_huh:

For the uninitiated yes; do not carry out this if you don't know what you're doing and how to handle this. Nonetheless, I'm not a Health & Safety fanatic. I've done the said procedure hundreds of times.

I was meaning more from the engines point of view, releasing the pressure reduces the boiling temp of water, producing steam and removing all cooling from the engine, does this not risk distorting the head?