4 Barrel Carb?

PeteB

I know this an Arb based forum but just in case there is a car nut in our membership!

I am swapping 4 barrel carbs on my hot rod. The original was badly worn and leaked and had the floats stick open which filled the sump up! A replacement was sourced through evil bay some months ago, which came off a running engine of the same type/size (apparently).

Gone to fit it today to find that it is fitted with a vacuum hose where the other hasn't and the choke mechanism is removed.

My questions are; would it work okay if I blanked off the vacuum and why would you remove a choke set up?

For the record, it is a Rover 3.5 and Holley 390cfm.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The vacuum may be for ignition advance purposes or if not, it may be for balancing the two carbs.

Removing the choke.....I can only imagine it is for maximising flow or fitting some sort of blower.

The ignition advance is sorted with a tube of much smaller diameter, this is for power brakes I would assume and I get that from the edelbrock manifold with a non return valve.

Blowers ordinarily sit under the carb as pushing that much air into a carb would give you a weak point. (Would love to fit one mind!). The choke is a bit fiddly to fit/remove and is usually trouble free working so I'm confused. There is another Holley on Fleabay right now off of a LandRover with no choke!

Gone to fit it today to find that it is fitted with a vacuum hose where the other hasn't and the choke mechanism is removed.

My questions are; would it work okay if I blanked off the vacuum.

As Spud says the vacuum connection is for something else, like advance retard or a servo, so it should work if blanked.

why would you remove a choke set up?

For the record, it is a Rover 3.5 and Holley 390cfm.

Pass on this unless there was another way of richening the mixture, SUs don't need chokes because you lower the jet tube to richen the mixture.

I have a Range Rover 3.5 with twin choke weber which I never fitted in my 110 if anyone is interested.

Guilty here of being a V8 nut, found my Holley bible so if you can get some numbers off it I will see if there any references for that model. Dont fret about the chokes being removed, two or three stabs of the throttle prior to cranking will have put enough fuel in there to fire it up and run a modern car for a week . Most Holley carbs are generic replacements and will have PCV and other vac ports that are used on other apps.

Bob

image_zpsb4dhbauj.jpg

Sorry, I wished I had put a picture up. The choke flaps and mechanism have been removed yet you can see where the once worked!

I know folk that use a piece of card to act has a choke while starting , this was a kit car with 4 barrel on a Ford Red top engine, I think it's something to do with gaining space when fitting in tight engine bays and only using trumpets .

Ste

my old rover never used the choke that was with a carter afb theres plenty of petrol when you pump the loud pedal a couple of times I think the choke flap had been tossed away as it got in the road the vacuum pipe will be ok blanked off unless you need it for a servo or possibly some of these old things had vacuum wipers back in the stoneage