Safe to use welder on generator?

andy cobb

Hi there.

I have a pramac 6000s diesel generator and an old pickhill bantam arc welder.

Is there anybody who can reassure me that by running the welder ( at fairly low amps) from the genset I won't damage the welder or more importantly the genset.

Have asked a few electricians but nobody seems to be really certain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

^^^^^ I agree ^^^^^^.

When you turn on a large transformer you get a big inrush of current, this will drag the generator revs down which in turn will fail to provide enough current for the transformer.

Biggest issue you will have is the voltage will fall through the floor for the above reason when you strike an arc.

We did run a small oxford 110A on a lister startamatic generator for many years without damage to either, however almost certainly the lister had a bigger flywheel than your set which helped it over the initial dip. Also back then the alternator etc would have almost certainly been built to a more robust spec.

I wouldn't be unduly worried about the Bantam as it's basically just a transformer so fairly robust, BUT its power requirement is very close to your generators max output so at worse you could damage the genset and at best it will not be easy to use.