900 litres of red diesel with water in. Can it be saved?

Jonny Burch

Today I pumped out 40 litres of red from my ibc container of red. Put it in the Vermeer and dove it 100 yards before it conked out. Came back and took a sample of the fuel and it's got a bit of water in it. Took out the fuel pump and there's ice in that too [emoji35]

Can the fuel be saved or is it a case of bin it and get 1000 litres of new?

Any advise much appreciated

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Might be hard work butt what about a 'Mr funnel'? I bought one after a recommendation on here.

You could run the hose from the IBC into the funnel and the funnel back into the tank. Then run the pump for a while. Going to take a while but you'll filter the gunk and water out.

I have a 600 litre tank, which usually lasts me a few months but as a precaution I always filter it when filling machines. Admittedly they are small machines, maximum 30 litres.

Edited by richy_B

Today I pumped out 40 litres of red from my ibc container of red. Put it in the Vermeer and dove it 100 yards before it conked out. Came back and took a sample of the fuel and it's got a bit of water in it. Took out the fuel pump and there's ice in that too [emoji35]

Jonny

Gasoil floats on water, it's the principal the diesel filters on old tractors use in the water separating filters.

Mount the ibc tilting toward the bottom tap and leave it for a few hours, then drain the water slowly leaving diesel behind.

I have a Mr. Funnel here somewhere if you want to borrow it, you'll only lose a litre of diesel at most if you are carful.

Make sure the tube is a few inches off the bottom of the IBC when you draw diesel.

As above then go to you.local a dealer and buy a water remover to two.they are tubes filled with absorbent granules which will suckl the remaining water from tank.I would also drop one in chipper tank.they hang on a wire so you can remove them easily. Works for me when had 350 litres of water gas oil in tractor tank (from a farm tank with hole in lid)

Can deffo save most of it as outlined above. We had a punter try and fill one of our boats diesel tanks with water (muppet). Left it to separate for an hour or three, then drew off the diesel from the top of the tank before draining the remainder for disposal. Best to renew all filters etc, and bleed through to the injectors once your fuel pump has thawed out. Hopefully no lasting damage there. May also be worth drawing the injectors and turning over the engine in case any water got into cylinders to ensure you don't hydraulic the engine if there is water in it.

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Top tip JB, never suck diesel from the bottom of any stillage ,drum or tank no matter what . Cable tie a stick along the length of the pickup pipe on your leccy pump so the strainers always a few inches off the floor of the tank.

Bob :)