drill bits

dig-dug-dan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you find wrong with the Screwfix ones? to brittle? dull too easily?

Either way learn how to sharpen them, it isn't too difficult on anything from about 4mm up assuming you have a bench grinder. Even expensive ones while being vastly better than cheap ones will need re-sharpened at some point.

Some people don't like Cobalt bits if using a hand drill as they're more brittle than HSS bits which if good quality should be hard enough. Fancy coating are likey to be more effective at attracting consumers than they are at improving performance.

As suggested above, Dormer, Heller and I'll add Presto.

Is there a decent set of drill bits out there for drilling metal?

Brought some cobalt ones from screwfix or toolstation, dont seem that great.

happy to spend a bit more for quality

Unless you are drilling harder material such as stainless steel where temperature can be an issue, cobalt drills offer no benefit over a decent quality HSS bit.

Unless you are drilling harder material such as stainless steel where temperature can be an issue, cobalt drills offer no benefit over a decent quality HSS bit.

your as well with a decent hss drill like dormer than a shitty Chinese cobalt drill I found dewalt overpriced for its quality when it comes to drills I have found you get what you pay for reca is another decent make

The engineers I work with use dormer drills by the box load, work very nicely and take a sharpen well.

I once had a couple of the makita multi purpose bits as I needed to drill through some steel sheet with a concrete lintel tight behind it and they worked fine, but I wouldn't bother to buy them again unless I had a similar job to do.