Kohler 9.5hp won't idle

skc101fc

I've searched but not found any other threads of this problem.

The issue is on a woodlands mill hm126, fitted with a kohler 9.5hp CH395 command pro. I can't get it to run an idle speed without feathering the choke. Open the choke and it dies after a few seconds. If I open the throttle whilst its still running it runs up to maximum speed with no problem, but the high speed without load sounds weak and fluffy.

There are no mixture adjustments either for idle or high speed. I've taken the carb off twice, removed main jet and blown through every orifice possible but found nothing. Drained the tank and dismantled the fuel tap assembly. It's a real pain having to restart after every single cut.

Does anyone have a pearls of wisdom for me to try tomorrow

There doesn't seem to be any mixture adjustment screws on this carb only an idle speed adjuster. If I use this to get a ( rough ) idle of sorts then it has to be quite fast to keep running, in which case the clutch starts to engage which ain't good or safe.

Anyone?

Shaun

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

Got the engine running sweetly now. Yes the idle jet was blocked solid, I still didn't spot it first time round. Couldn't blow it out with the airline, so had to force it through with a strand from the wire brush. Gave the rest of the carb another blow through whilst it was on the bench, and got a lovely jet of petrol straight in the eye from one of the fuel passages!

Don't that sting and burn like f@@k !!!!

Anyway a nice sweet tickover now. That's the first time I've heard that since I bought the mill back to my yard. This is the one that was for sale here on Arbtalk a little while back. When I arrived to collect it the guy had the carb in bits then ,saying that suddenly it wouldn't idle. It really is as clean and fresh as he described it. All I need to do now is to construct a frame to stiffen it and raise it off the deck of my ifor williams, then it will be a great complement to my lucas mill for the smaller logs.

Once again,

Thanks Bob.

Shaun

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
58 minutes ago, Wendelspanswick said:

I know it's an old thread but a big thank you to Bob as I had exactly the same issue with my Woodlands Mill and clearing the idle jet sorted it.

Run a pair of fuel filters ? Like a deisel set up ? K