What do you expect if someone else services your saws?

sicoopey

Hello,

First proper post here, so be gentle.

I am very new to this but I completed my CS30 this week and learned quite a lot. One thing that came to light was the state of my chainsaw. Before using the saw, and going on the course, I had it serviced by a garden machinery firm that does that sort of thing but lo and behold a fair few things were not flagged up and I was unable to use the saw for the cross cutting.

So if you sent your saw to be serviced would you expect it to come back with an old and worn out guide bar, a worn sprocket with obvious wear marks - like 2mm maybe?!, a chain with no identifying brand probably off the interwebz, the old spark plug and a broken, ineffective chain catcher? :thumbdown:

Should these things at least have been flagged up, or is it all down to the user to know w t f they are doing?

Thanks a lot in advance

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not very good . Did you ask the what the " service " consisted of ? Consumables like bar and chain , powermate sprocket air filter spark plug I would do myself . Major stuff like tear down and rebuild now a days I would ask spud .

Edited by Stubby

First proper post here, so be gentle.

Trying to be gentle but I'd have also thought you would have looked through the course material before the course and noted a few bits, such as the bar and sprocket wear.

I would have assumed the service would have at least warned me if something needed replacing or was dangerous.

If it was a saw from a 'pro user' I would give it a full service (inc new plug!). I would replace a damaged chain catcher and worn sprocket without communicating with the customer. However, I would not change the bar and chain as the true 'pro user' probably has this in hand. In fact they often send a saw in for service having already taken off the good bar and chain, just putting an old one on for me to be able to test under load.

I would of course mention it to the customer when they collected the saw and offer replacements.

But if it was a domestic user I would confirm extra costs over and above the service and get authority before doing the work.

With the cheaper, sub £180 saws, the cost of a new bar chain and sprocket, on top of the service, is seldom viable.

If it was a saw from a 'pro user' I would give it a full service (inc new plug!). I would replace a damaged chain catcher and worn sprocket without communicating with the customer. However, I would not change the bar and chain as the true 'pro user' probably has this in hand. In fact they often send a saw in for service having already taken off the good bar and chain, just putting an old one on for me to be able to test under load.

I would of course mention it to the customer when they collected the saw and offer replacements.

But if it was a domestic user I would confirm extra costs over and above the service and get authority before doing the work.

With the cheaper, sub £180 saws, the cost of a new bar chain and sprocket, on top of the service, is seldom viable.

As a slight derail how much would you charge to change an chain oil pump and worm screw on a ms170?

I got quoted £140 so I bought a new one! I've still got the pump and worm thing in the garage waiting for me to attempt to fit it myself! I think the bits were about £20 plus VAT though not sure as they have been sat for over a year now!

Thanks

As a slight derail how much would you charge to change an chain oil pump and worm screw on a ms170?

I got quoted £140 so I bought a new one! I've still got the pump and worm thing in the garage waiting for me to attempt to fit it myself! I think the bits were about £20 plus VAT though not sure as they have been sat for over a year now!

Thanks

Really easy to do yourself, 30 minutes max. Piston stop, clutch off, few screws to remove the cover to get to the pump and gear and swap them out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Have been stung once or twice personally I would not use folks unless I trusted them now or heard good things from people who have a clue.

Most of the work You can do your self but it can get technical finding running faults...If in doubt "spud" on the forum does a mail service and I would trust Steve 110% in his judgment in tuning ,servicing,rebuilds and repairs , he's certainly found faults on saws that have left other so called experts dum struck on my saws , it was handier when I lived 3 miles away instead of 300 though but I still send him the odd saw.

Thanks

Pretty much as Dan says. Easily achieved in 30 minutes, although the pump itself can be a bit more difficult until you know what you are doing as it has to be withdrawn from below.

About £25 labour should cover it at most dealers.