How hard is it to learn to weld?

Woodworks

Can build things in lots of materials but never learnt to weld. At present when something needs to be made in steel I either have to get it made or bolt sections together. I am thinking of box and L sections of around 4mm thickness but also some thin plate in the 1-2mm range. To get something structurally sound does it take years of experience or can it be picked up quickly?

If it can be learned quickly what kit do I need to look at? Not a great power supply here but probably good for 16 amps

Thanks

You could learn on your own, however I believe that would be to expensive and dangerous. There must be some form of vocational training available in your country?

Find out where and learn from professionals. Welding is fun and can also be very rewarding, if you know the basics. Practice improves skill level and desire to improve ones work, like anything else.

easy-lift guy

It seems to be a skill which some people can get and others can't, a bit like plastering.

There is a minimum standard of kit you need, below which it won't be you, it really will be the kit. You also need to think about which process you want - some people find MIG really easy, others find TIG easier, GMAW is different again. They all have their pros and cons, both as processes and the challenges of using them.

For what you want, MIG or TIG could either be used; the thinner end is pushing it for GMAW.

Tolerable welding will be self evident so as long as you use reasonably well designed joint preps and have plenty of margin built in to the strength it should be fine (as Steve says, so long as it isn't safety critical) and if it fails you can always grind it back and weld it again!

Alec

As with most things the simple answer is "it depends".

It depends on what you are trying to weld and whether or not the welder you have is up to the job. Assuming you have the correct welder for the type and thickness of material you wish to weld then you can get pretty proficient fairly quickly. Good preparation is also key. If you know someone who is willing to show you the basics I would suggest that you do not need to fork out for expensive training just practice on plenty of scrap until you get a regular weld with good penetration. Then have someone check your work and give it the ok.

What are you referring to as gmaw Alec?

I thought that was the umbrella term for mig/mag processes?

I did some C&G L1 and L2 evening courses in mig, mma, and tig aluminium. The mig is fairly easy if you have good manual dexterity and motor skills. Tig is a little more involved.

It seems to be a skill which some people can get and others can't, a bit like plastering.

There is a minimum standard of kit you need, below which it won't be you, it really will be the kit. You also need to think about which process you want - some people find MIG really easy, others find TIG easier, GMAW is different again. They all have their pros and cons, both as processes and the challenges of using them.

For what you want, MIG or TIG could either be used; the thinner end is pushing it for GMAW.

Tolerable welding will be self evident so as long as you use reasonably well designed joint preps and have plenty of margin built in to the strength it should be fine (as Steve says, so long as it isn't safety critical) and if it fails you can always grind it back and weld it again!

Alec

I thought GMAW (gas metal arc welding) was an other name for mig welding?