Stihl km hl hedge trimmer part sourcing

thecaptain

Hey all

I just shattered the pinion gear in my stihl km hl combi hedge trimmer, can't find the part I need anywhere, dealer tells me I can only buy it in a set at £200+

I only need the smaller gear pinion,

Does anyone have it in there spares box or could point me in the right direction?

Cheers in advance

Exact same thing happened to me this week, its very annoying as you can buy all other parts separatley but the small drive gear only comes in a set of both pinion gears at a minimum of 165 quid.

Ive just ordered a new head.

It would be worth having some of those made, u could make a fortune.

Hope someone comes up with a solution ive not heard of.

.MM

Exact same thing happened to me this week, its very annoying as you can buy all other parts separatley but the small drive gear only comes in a set of both pinion gears at a minimum of 165 quid.

Ive just ordered a new head.

It would be worth having some of those made, u could make a fortune.

Hope someone comes up with a solution ive not heard of.

.MM

If it makes you feel any better it's good engineering practice to replace gears that run together rather than individually. Crown wheel and pinion in a diff would come as a set for example. Presumably Stihl are only following this good practice.

We would just sell the customer a new complete hedgetrimmer head for about £230 inc. Work on the principle that if one gear in that head is worn, then the others are the same age and also the blades cams etc. If the housing around the shaft is not cracked then that has some salvage value so offer the old one on Ebay and get £40-50 back, someone will buy it

I agree with harrythecat, the Stihl heads are seldom worth considering for repair, simply because of their crazy spares prices and the inability to purchase individual parts. Much better to just buy another.

But other makes such as Tanaka, which are actually more reliable than the Stihl IMO, are cost effective to repair as the parts are cheaper. They still come in sets, but I have split the sets and mixed old parts with new many times with absolutely no problems. Most Tanaka gearbox repairs can be done within £100.