Metal in the hydraulic system...

Ty Korrigan

Back in December 2015 I changed the hydro oil in our JD 1026R tractor at 450hours.

The image dates from back then.

There are 2 filters, this one is magnetic and seems to do it's job but is this amount of swarf normal?

Periodically the power steering goes stiff and now the front lift intermittently refuses to drop at anything other than a snails pace.

Could it be that particles of swarf are entering the 'hydro distribution'? That is the box that diverts the oil to where it is needed.

Any ideas appreciated.

Ty

597671568705d_20151228_1051261.jpg.8af8e5b8ec1b869c640febfcf579d874.jpg

In my opinion, and I'm not an expert I assure you, if the hydraulics are playing up my first point of call is the filters. Clearly the metal indicates it's not the filters. I would then unhappily suggest the pump. A tractor like that should have a pump refurb kit available rather than a new pump. The location of the pump on it I don't know but I guess it ain't got a cab cos it's small so it should be easily accessible. Hope this helps.

Is there a separate hyd. Oil tank or is it common to the back axle? If the hyd. Oil comes from the axle/transmission then the metal particles are probably coming from there.

The distrubution valve you mentioned is there to make sure the steering always gets priority and if the steering sometimes loads up then it suggests a lack of pressure.

Maybe some of those metal bits have got in a relief valve somewhere, I would not think its a pump problem because they are either good all the time or worn out.

You could try changing the oil and filters, see if you cane flush out some of those bits.

How many hours had this oil been in there for?

That's more metal than I've seen on mine, but I do it every year which is usually less than 150 hours. don't think it's a problem. The drain plug on my Hilux rear diff is has usually got a load of metal stuck to it too.

It's worth contacting a mechanic from a dealership . Maybe a known problem such as a soft crown. Management aren't as likely to be up front.

How old is the tractor? Has the oil been changed. I don't know if they still do break in oil. But it was better suited to bedding in.

Hi I think this is a common problem with the j.d tractor caused by the internal brake disc wearing. Are nabour has had the same problem with 2 of his tractors , he has sold them as it was the cheapest option as to do the job the cab has to be removed so that you can take the trumpets off the tractor (the part that the weal bolts to ) so that you can then get to the brake disc.

cheers chris