When customers want to help!

Macca

So I was taking down a conifer today over shed and green house by myself when Mr Helpful appears in my drop zone with his secateurs and starts sneading the branches into his green bin.

After the fourth time of asking him to stand back I had to tell him in the politest way possible he was being more of a hindrance than a help.

I found this really difficult and awkward as I could tell he thought he was being really helpful and I may of embarrassed him by asking him to go back into the house.

Does anyone have experience of this and have a way of keeping Mr helpful out the way without embarrassing him?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's that keen instruct him to just leave he branches by the chipper

He kinda started without any communication so to ask him to help felt a bit rude. I dunno maybe he would of been happy to it's hard to judge those sort of situations. It was a terraced house and the drag was a bitch!

So I was taking down a conifer today over shed and green house by myself when Mr Helpful appears in my drop zone with his secateurs and starts sneading the branches into his green bin.

After the fourth time of asking him to stand back I had to tell him in the politest way possible he was being more of a hindrance than a help.

I found this really difficult and awkward as I could tell he thought he was being really helpful and I may of embarrassed him by asking him to go back into the house.

Does anyone have experience of this and have a way of keeping Mr helpful out the way without embarrassing him?

happened to me loads of times over the years...

Sometimes they do so much I begin to worry they might demand a discount :blushing:

Just starting out doing weekend work by myself, not got to the stage of employing people yet. Any bigger jobs I will enlist the help of a groundie.

IMO opinion if you're climbing you should have a groundy. If you haven't priced for one you're not charging enough. De valuing the industry.

Yes I have done the odd job by myself but it's never the right way!

IMO opinion if you're climbing you should have a groundy. If you haven't priced for one you're not charging enough. De valuing the industry.

Yes I have done the odd job by myself but it's never the right way!

Agreed, plus, discuss the do's and don't' with the customer prior to starting work as part of your hazard ID/tailgate e.g. Don't come into the work area, do make us a cuppa at smoko.

Once any contractor allows the customer to work on the job site control is lost. Don't loose control in the first place. Make your rules crystal clear and if your customer refuses to obey than take one break and explain for the last time where your customer must remain until the all clear is sounded. Otherwise pack up your gear and work for someone else.

easy-lift guy